I'm just sayin..

-

OneOfMany

Reaction score
I know it's been beat to death, but I keep bugging my wife that a new Dart should be her next car.

After reading this, if it came available with half the hp/torque driving four wheels, and without the requisite wing, I don't think she'd DESERVE one.

"Chrysler's new purpose-built rally car is based on the all-new 2013 Dart. It features a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that delivers 550 pound-feet of torque to all four wheels through a Sedav gearbox. Chrysler says the car is capable of 0-60 mph acceleration in 1.9 seconds."

Attachments

• 2013_dodge_dart_f34_ns_32612_717.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 226
That just goes to show how much they are holding back on the tuning on the V8s. If they can get 600 HP from a 4 cylinder then..........

So they're doing the same bullcrap as ford that equally pisses me off?

It bugs me that you look at subaru and mitsubishi. They do it right when they make the WRX and Evolution. The rally cars are awd, turbo, mean as hell. The production car is awd, turbo, mean as hell.

Then ford, and now dodge make awd rally cars that are awd, turbo, and mean as hell. But for the general public? Middle finger with an unsporty gutless fwd car. All because of absurd notions about doing it right would cut into muscle car sales. Because the head honchos fail to realize that people who want the turbo awd rides wont buy the muscle cars anyways.

You might not like the car, but those are some pretty impressive numbers. Especially if it's a pump gas vehicle and prolly still gets 20mpgs.

You might not like the car, but those are some pretty impressive numbers. Especially if it's a pump gas vehicle and prolly still gets 20mpgs.

Agreed on all counts. Impressive numbers - Check. Impressive mileage - Check. I don't like the car. - Check.
As I stared earlier: "Wrong wheel drive, and imported".

I much prefer, rear wheel drive, I prefer a V8, and I prefer a car designed, built and financed in America, by Americans, with American dollars. I don't any imports, on purpose.

Agreed on all counts. Impressive numbers - Check. Impressive mileage - Check. I don't like the car. - Check.

I much prefer, rear wheel drive, I prefer a V8, and I prefer a car designed, built and financed in America, by Americans, with American dollars. I don't any imports, on purpose.

I cannot disagree with any of your points. I feel the same way. However, I do want the car to succeed.

Then why are posting in this thread?? In fact why post in any thread about anything remotely new? virtually every car is built/designed out of this country(courtesy of unions + bad legislation).

FWD might be "wrong wheel drive" to you, but the fwd platform is cheap and can make a good club racer platform. Thats why hondas are popular for autox and road racing.

And V8s are gonna eventually go the way of the do-do if there's not an alternate source. With turbos people are making 4/6 cylinder motors just as impressive with better mpg.

Just so you know, the base Subaru Imprezras and Mitsubishi Lancers are also wrong wheel drive, N/A, and imported. The WRX STI and the EVOs are top of the line versions of these cars. What Chrysler and Ford don't understand is that if you build them, people will buy them. Thus inorder to be taken seriously, the Dart, and Focuesta all have to be AWD, turbocharged and make at least 300 horses with a 6 spd manual and have insane levels of traction control, but they'll never do it because it won't sell enough.

Just so you know, the base Subaru Imprezras and Mitsubishi Lancers are also wrong wheel drive, N/A, and imported. The WRX STI and the EVOs are top of the line versions of these cars. What Chrysler and Ford don't understand is that if you build them, people will buy them. Thus inorder to be taken seriously, the Dart, and Focuesta all have to be AWD, turbocharged and make at least 300 horses with a 6 spd manual and have insane levels of traction control, but they'll never do it because it won't sell enough.

Aren't ALL Subarus ALL WHEEL drive?

No thank you. Still wrong wheel drive, and imported. My 2¢.

It's made in Belvidere, The drivetrain comes from Dundee, and Marysville. So exactly when did Illinois and Michigan become foreign countries? Heres your change back.

Should have called that car the new Neon since it looks more like a Neon than a Odge Dart, then build a Dart that actually bears a resemblance to the vintage one.

yeah i'm aware of the lancer thing, but atleast mitsu has the option for the good car. Ford/now dodge does not. They show the public what they can do, and give them garbage.

Baseline Subaru's are still awd.

How do you know they wont sell enough? You see the latest focus? That would be a really nice rally styled car if it had more than a gutless little 4cyl and fwd.

i can see the ladies buying the crap out of those things

I don't know if I'd buy one, but I'd go test drive the pi$$ out of one.

Yeah, like most everyone, the idea of domestic is better than foreign, but if the local contractor wouldn't listen to me and did shoddy work, I'd go to the contractor in the town over. The same applies to restaurants, insurance, places of employment, whatever....the car companies in the last few years have let most of America down. Had they not rested on their laurels and made inferior products, we wouldn't be borrowing engines from mistubishi, mazda, isuzu, etc. Our big three have really failed us, but it seems they're trying to make amends. Even if that means building upon the foreign company ideas and having accepted a large bailout and not one of our companies can claim that their product is made 100% in the US.

You might not like the foreign companies, but most of them make a pretty high quality product.

Well, I got news. Chrysler might not have invented "wrong wheel drive", but they certainly perfected it. Were it not for Iacocca's innovative thinking, Chrysler might have failed to exist a long time ago. For in city driving, it's tough to beat a little "wrong wheel drive" buzzbox.

i will admit , the wifeys little "american" (and i use that term loosely) pontiac G6 is a nimble little snow machine. that little thing will go places my RWD cars only dream of

My 70 Dart was built in Canada. :eek:ops: Looks like I can't play with you all any more till I get rid of my imported crap car. :D

My 70 Dart was built in Canada. :eek:ops: Looks like I can't play with you all any more till I get rid of my imported crap car. :D

Yep.. time to exclude all references to 70 Swinger 340s from the site. In fact, just send em back. We'll scrap them here lol..

Grant

Then why are posting in this thread??
In fact why post in any thread about anything remotely new?

Because, until further notice, I'm entitled to an opinion , too.

FWD might be "wrong wheel drive" to you,
It is.

but the fwd platform is cheap and can make a good club racer platform. Thats why hondas are popular for autox and road racing.
No argument.

And V8s are gonna eventually go the way of the do-do if there's not an alternate source. With turbos people are making 4/6 cylinder motors just as impressive with better mpg.
No argument there either, except for one: Just because it's pretty obvious that V8's, or the internal combustion engine, will eventually become either obsolete, or illegal, doesn't mean I have to accept it, by liking the alternative.
That said, I have no issues at all with your acceptance of 4/6 cylinder engines, turbos, front wheel drive, or imports. I look at it as your prerogative, just as I view my dislike of such things, my prerogative, and have no need to ask your permission for it. ;)

It's made in Belvidere, The drivetrain comes from Dundee, and Marysville. So exactly when did Illinois and Michigan become foreign countries? Heres your change back.

It's an Alpha Romeo, is it not? But, let's forget that, OK? Let's call it american made. It's still wrong wheel drive, and still not a V8 car.
I'm not a fan of Neons, Fiestas, and Cavaliers, either.

I do, however make an exception for inline (or slant) six cars, as long as they are rear wheel, or all wheel drive.

I am not a fan of the "New Dart". Why is that an issue?

-
Back