I'm stoked! Taking a restoration class!

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
That's right! A local tech/vocational/adult edu. school offers a course in restoration. They teach panel fabrication, body work and paint/refinishing. Apparently, you are supposed to work on your own car but I'm not sure on that. If that's true, I'm really excited. Starts in March and lasts for 3 months, classes are once/week.

Wish me luck. Pics when I start!

I wish there was one locally to me. I would sign up in a heartbeat!!! Good luck!

So they have a full blown shop?

Yep. They call it a 'lab'. Guy who teaches it is a long-time pinstriper too. He actually teaches a striping class there. See a link for the dude here.

blurb for course:

"...Restore autos to a state of beauty! Learn all the different aspects of automotive restoration such as rust repair, panel fabrication and replacement (1972 and prior), and body finishes including paint and repairs."

They have a bunch of different courses besides restoration - auto body/ refinishing, mechanics, aviation, culinary, construction, etc.

DO IT!!! Unfortunately, my first real Hot Rod mentor knew engines like the back of his hand.... Body work was chicken wire and bondo, lol!

damn i was going to offer body work for your 318 and 302heads! its good to know how to do it yourself though. good luck with this.:thumleft:

damn i was going to offer body work for your 318 and 302heads! its good to know how to do it yourself though. good luck with this.:thumleft:

Thanks.

My Dart doesn't need a whole lot. It has a few dents and dings and one obvious repair on the driver's quarter but it's pretty clean. If I'm able to, I'm gonna replace the trunk pan but that's it. Most of the stuff I'll do will be cosmetic, basically just new paint and vinyl top.

318 and heads are still for sale though for those of you keeping score at home. ;-)

Jeepers, I'm jealous...........

I've been in the hobby for 45 years, and I'd STILL love to take classes like this......There is ALWAYS something to learn from other guys in the trade......We all seem to have little tricks and secrets that can add a LOT to what we might already know.........I LOVE it..........

........and he's a striper too? Outrageous........ We have a guy near here that comes to the "Music and Motorcycles" events each quarter.......I've watched him many times as he has to stop a stripe for position or lack of enamel, and then PICK UP that EXACT LINE flawlessly..........I still haven't mastered his skill, but man I'd sure like to........

In my opinion, there's NOTHIN' like watchin' other guys do their thing with restorations and mods........It's a school we should never think we've "graduated" from. :thumleft:

That's right! A local tech/vocational/adult edu. school offers a course in restoration. They teach panel fabrication, body work and paint/refinishing. Apparently, you are supposed to work on your own car but I'm not sure on that. If that's true, I'm really excited. Starts in March and lasts for 3 months, classes are once/week.

Wish me luck. Pics when I start!

Where at? Pm me some details if ya would.

Darn, now that I finished bodywork/ welding on my Duster, and about wrapped up on buddie's Charger, a class? Poopola.

-
Back