im thinkin its time for me to make some changes

-
I say go for it​

My 76 2 door Dart Lite was awesome this year. /6, speed manual, no ac. I can legitimately say I drove it 80% of the year. I drove the truck for A/C in the hottest portion of the summer (10%), and it is down right now, with a leaking carb.(10%) As soon as I can get the snow off it, the carb will get fixed, and it will be driving again.

Mopars traditionally have excellent heaters. Make sure the ducting underdash for defrost is good, give it a fresh tune, walk the brakes from front to back, make sure wipers work, check the bulbs, and roll the HELL out of it.

Mine does not have the OD, but it still got better MPG then my fuel injected OD truck. I didn't even have a radio, the sounds of the engine were more then enough.

I drive a Neon every day. 30+ mph, 5sp, mildly souped up 150hp DOHC. Low insurance, easy to get parts, cruises at 90+ with ease and will go over 120. Also comfy seats, stops excellent, and will outhandle almost anything stock.

With my wagon i get about 25 to the gallon and pay $34 for ins! And i speed past cops all the time and they dont even look twice at me. That and driving a car you dont see everyday is the two best things ever :sunny:

wow...i guess this idea i had aint as fresh as i thought it was!sounds like everybodys diggin it....pretty cool hearing from people that are so much like me it aint funny....that never happens!
i guess this is gonna be a go as soon as i locate the right car...headed to CL now!!!
good luck to all yall doin it now...and yall that'll be doin it soon too!!

simple tool kit in the trunk, a stereo that will make some sound a spare tire and a jack and your off on the road to adventure!!!! I will say that after installing a fuel sending unit I have had no adventures lately.......just cruise wherever I want to go!!!! :cheers:

As interesting as it might be to get an old car as a daily driver its not a great idea when you think about it. They have no modern conveniences which is fine except that air bags, ABS brakes, crumple zones and other crash protection items are included in that. Getting one for an inexperienced younger driver is even a worse idea IMHO. Sorry to be a nay sayer but I'm just giving you another point of view here.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You bring up some good points but I drive my car everyday, I feel a good driver is the best safety item a car could have. All of the safety features you mention are people who cant drive. Its the government saving us from ourselves. I believe an old car in good working order will do all the things within the law just as good as the modern cars. The problem lies in where we have become so disconnected from the driving experience that most people speed and drive wrecklessly. For example following too close, speed, running red lights, texting, talking on the phone, eating, and putting on make up to name a few. If everyone would just pay attention and drive reasonably we wouldnt need all those crazy safety items! Sorry rant over. I still respect your opinion and do agree with you in a certain respect.

As interesting as it might be to get an old car as a daily driver its not a great idea when you think about it. They have no modern conveniences which is fine except that air bags, ABS brakes, crumple zones and other crash protection items are included in that. Getting one for an inexperienced younger driver is even a worse idea IMHO. Sorry to be a nay sayer but I'm just giving you another point of view here.

I see what you are saying and i understand. Iv been Driving my 64 wagon for a year now and i feel safer in it then any little Honda. And yes it may not have air bags but if some other car hits me i know ill be fine and it will not crush like a tin can. I would rather have my kids learn to drive an older car. As long as its not souped up i believe they would be better and safer drivers! But that's just me and thank you for listing.

You have lost your mind! Welcome to the club! I think the small block colt explains what your frame of mind is. I drive a 69 Roadrunner that is so rusty, it will need every panel and frame rail replaced. I bought it as a parts car and now drive it 12 miles to work every day. All things function, the heater/defroster works very well and it is quite comfy to drive. Plus its a numbers matching 383 auto 391 suregrip Runner that runs 13s on 195 radials. As you can tell I am a fan of the idea, plus who needs to drive something boring everyday. We spend the most time in our commuters why not drive something your into.

What on earth is done to it?
What mph does it do when you do a 13?

An htf does it hook lol.

What on earth is done to it?
What mph does it do when you do a 13?

An htf does it hook lol.

He didn't do anything to it! The rust has lightened the car by 500lbs:cheers:

Probably has holes big enough to throw a cat through but it's still cool to me8)

,I feel a good driver is the best safety item a car could have. All of the safety features you mention are people who cant drive. Its the government saving us from ourselves.
i gotta agree...the auto manufacturers legal departments have added all this safety stuff for reasons....but if we're in a (stock)slant six,we're not really trying to set any speed records anyway....and i dont plan on trying to impress anyone with the handling on 14 in. tires....and lastly,there was a time when they were modern technology...and people lived to tell about it! i think im responsible enough keep er between the ditches! it will be saving fuel as opposed to my ram...plus i'll be recycling my old used parts from time to time im sure....hell its "the green thing to do"......you cant get anymore modern than that can ya?

i wanted to find a nice cheap 4 dr last year to drive for work. wanted the 4 dr for the kid seat in the back. i had found a real clean 72 valiant, but i wanted something that had factory bb discs. and it was more than i wanted to spend on a 4 dr. oh and it wa sa 318, i really thought i wanted a slant. i found a slant six bbp 8 1/4 duster for less than half the price so i setteld for it instead of a 4 dr. :-D dont you know the only place the car seat would fit is the passenger side front... cant even put the front seat far enough foward, not that id fit but still. id still kind of liek to get a 4 dr but im not paying good money for one. do yourself a favor, leave the manual steering for the strip toys. a/c wouldnt be such a bad thing to have as an option on the sweltering hot days. the duster isnt quite a daily driver as i work on job sites but i did drive it quite often through the summer. oh and with the super six and bigger exhast i have to be real conservative to get close to 20 mpg with it.

ive got whats left of a 73 dart 4 door.its missing the rear bumper/valance,brake drums,carb,and radiator...oh yeah,and rear speaker wires!!!!!!car ran and drove 100%,but there just wasnt enough leg room.my kids booster seats fit in back fine!

well here she is....guess i'll go to the DMV tommorrow!

126.JPG

124.JPG

127.JPG

131.JPG

New at this-bear with me.
I have a project car for sale you might be interested in. 1973 Plymouth Gold Duster/ 6 cyl/ auto/ disc brakes/ large bolt pattern wheels/ engine partially disassembled (valve covers removed and a few other minor parts) previous owner said he was driving it and something happened to the head so he parked it. Then he said some kids threw something through the windshield. Rust in lower quarters - surface rust in trunk - have not removed carpet to check floor pans but feel solid. Pretty much complete car. Clear title - asking $700. I live in northern middle TN. Car is at my dad's across the border in Adolphus Ky. Tenn Title.
Thanks, and I'm building a 440 1968 Barracuda pro street. Looking forward to learning how to use this website.

lets see if anybody else is in the frame of mind as me.the snows pilled up,the drag cars put away,the barely useable street car is sold....i think its time for a real street car.a real driver.an everday real driver.not one like everybody else has parked in the lot at work...i think i need a beater!
i passed myself 3 times on the commute home today,and it got me thinkin....i need a no frills,bare bones a-body to drive everyday. i put up a want ad on several sites,and i think i'll go from there.sure i got plenty o projects as it is,but nothing id want to drive every day.im thinkin a slant six,manual everything.its gotta be a 2 door though.
heck,you could make one last 30 years or so just using old worthless cast-off parts from previous projects,and buddies scrap piles...and a couple extra ignition boxes and ballast resistors.
i set out to do this a couple years back..a buddy had a 4 door 73 dart that i picked up for $400. i originally bought it for its disc brakes,but as i was driving it home(with nothing but the hand brake) it dawned on me that this car still had some life left in it.so i fixed the brakes and drove it to work for a few months.knees on the dash the whole time!then came the day that i needed to stop by home depot and pick up a new waterhose reel.when i got out to the parking lot, it was then i realized that not only would it not fit in the trunk...it also wouldnt fit into the back door. i became disgusted and ripped the speaker wires out from under the package tray,and tied the trunk down with them.the next day i started parting that damn car out...all over a waterhose reel....
so this time im thinkin...2 door oughta do it.
anybody ever been here?anybody drive one everyday anymore?ANYBODY GOT ONE FOR SALE? is wifey right...have i really lost my mind?

You're thinking too small. Here's a pic of my beater. With a trunk this size you can haul most anything. Rides and drives great, brakes will throw you through the windshield, dual exhaust sounds sweet. Besides, with the size of this thing SUVs don't intimidate me and all the skulls and crossbones keep the snobs at bay!
Dallas

Nice car. Is the Jolly Roger ting for VF-103, or not related?

Hell of a car there 540. That looks like a respectable candidate. Nice find and good luck with it.
Small Block
thanks...it aint the worst ive owned,but it aint the best either! thats exactly what i was after. it looks like a blind guy did some of the body work and paint (check out that qtr.), so i may spend a few days on that this spring...but thats it!! nuthin but go go go for this one!

128.JPG

124.JPG

i think the same guy fixed some dents on my duster. luckily he didnt paint it though. you gonna throw some duster stripes on it to break up the white or what? nice buy.

yeah...i gotta get rid of that rustoleum quality stuff. i tried that omni high build primer on my colt,and that seemed like a good quality product,so i think ill try their urethane single stage in spinaker white.probably be ok for this car.also plan to use year one's black "gold duster" style side and tail pan stripes.unfortunately im blessed with yet another 74 duster with small lug drums all around,so i may use a set of ralleys i got layin around.wanted to use mustang wheels..but its gonna be more trouble than its worth.

-
Back