Imitating a vinyl top

-

FlyingFalcon

Reaction score
Right now I don't have a lot of money, and have other things that take priority on my car. I like the look of a vinyl top. Could I use paint to imitate it? And could someone post pictures of it?

Thanks FABO

Did your car come with a vinyl top originally? I'm not a fan of vinyl tops myself, but I like your idea of a "sprayed on" version. Vinyl tops tend to cause rust issues if not parked in a garage all the time. I've seen sprayed on done with pretty nice looking results, but I don't know what they used or how it was done.

You could simply paint the top with a contrasting color (black or white, whatever). I think that was also an original option from Dodge back in the day.

we used a black "Hammer Tone" paint
on our Dart, cause we didn't want a regular vinyl top on it

004-2.jpg

check the link below..

https://www.google.com/search?q=ham..._LtHkgwS9qYHADw&ved=0CFAQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=743

Dip it....spray thinned tool dip onto it, or spray on some bed liner line Line-X. That would be a first! Oh man beat me to it......!

Regarding truck bed liner - I vote no.
My son has a '98 Dakota that came with a sprayed in Rhinoliner. Black, but it looks pretty gray to me. That was after 6 years, since he has owned it he has kept a tonno cover on it - but it is still gray.
I have a '99 Dakota that I had another brand of spray in liner applied in a forrest green. It has always had a tonno cover, but on the edges where the cover doesn't sit - the green has faded to a sort of light grayish green, maybe snot green... and it faded to this in fairly short order.

Maybe the mix is better today, but those two examples of late '90's bed liner didn't hold color.
C

Some of the'66 Valiants could be ordered with a painted top. I think either black or white. Our family had one that was a burgundy (I think dark poly red officially) with a black painted top.

So yes you can do it, even Chrysler did it.

A painted top was an option from the factory. I had a 73 Satellite Sebring that was Autumn Bronze Metallic with a paint white top.

Lets see some good close up pics of how YOURS turned out instead of some dingbat search pics.

Here YOU GO.. Can you see it (texture)> close enough for you????

nf_zpse9b1beaa.jpg

I didn't have any close ups , posted what I had

So, Just for you went out and got this one.

The link WAS to SHOW> available colors

fea_zps6286acfe.jpg

wow dragin that dont look to bad.... i might get some of that and try it out on the neighbors car first to see if i like it

-
Back