Import of project Vehicle

-

69signetv8

Reaction score
Has anyone, Canadian ever imported a more then 15 year old project veh into Canada? If so...what was the pain if any. Say a Veh is going to cost 1,000.00 US. What the real damage for say buy time you get it in your driveway? I have read the Customs links, however looking for someone own exp.
(Project Car)...not running no drivetrain.

69signetv8,
Although I haven't done it this is what I have learned from asking many questions when I was looking. It must have a clear title, you have to wait 4 days after you purchase it to get it across the border, you must have a bill of sale and you will have to pay the sales taxes that apply when you come across. (that can be billed to you)
One thing that I never did get a clear answer on was the A/C thing. They are real picky about it. They wouldn't give me a clear answer when I asked if it made a difference if the A/C was off the car.

Hope this helps

Jack

what if the car jim found had no motor or trans? does that change the situation?

i recently bought mine. and we just needed to fax the title over to the customs, and made sure they had it for 72 hours before we crossed. they just came out side and looked at the Vin number, and a few signatures and i was out of there.

i bought the car for $2000 Canadian. and to get it over i think it cost me $400 more?

i can't seem to remeber becasue my dad said he would pay that part :thumblef:

here she is :)

64_1.jpg

littleman66 said:
i recently bought mine. and we just needed to fax the title over to the customs, and made sure they had it for 72 hours before we crossed. they just came out side and looked at the Vin number, and a few signatures and i was out of there.

i bought the car for $2000 Canadian. and to get it over i think it cost me $400 more?

i can't seem to remeber becasue my dad said he would pay that part :thumblef:

here she is :)

That didn't sound like too big of a deal.
Well, just read the link agian and it said something about vehicles over 15 years don't have to register to the RIV program. This saves about 240.00 off the top. Also Chrysler passenger cars more then 15 years are admissable into canada.

I guess like you said.
Clear title, correct VIN and Registation,
Bill of sale, pay Taxes and Duty.

Once home,
Being a non-running project car, once re-built just getting it registered and certified for the road.

I have brought a couple of cars from the states to canada. All were RIV exempt (over 15 years old) and brought over the boarder into ontario.

Keep the purchase price under $2gs and fax the original title to the boarder 72 hours in advance along with a note of when you are going to be crossing.
Make sure you have the ORIGINAL title and a bill of sale.

When you hit the boarder, you have to stop and export the vehicle, where they basically stamp the paperwork and send you on your way. When you get accross the boarder, they will look at the car to make sure the vin matches, charge you sales tax on the bill of sale and give you a Form 1. Make sure they stamp it TWICE! The second stamp is the RIV exempt stamp.

If the car ever had AC they can charge you the AC fee. If its all missing they probally won't even notice that it once had it.

You then take the form 1, original title, and customs reciept (to show you paid everything) and go to your friendly Ministry of Transport and get a title for the car.

dang sounds complicated, i remember when i went to the court house and had a bill of sale for my dart for $1.00, the lady refused to give me licence plates cause the car should be worth more, even though it was givin to me in the first place. so we had to drive back into town print up a new bill of sale, write it for i think it was 50, have the orginal owner sign it, luckly he was a family friend, and i finaly got plates for my dart. man this pissed me off the lady was pretty much telling use to make up a bill of sale i mean what if i got the car from a differnet state..say texas :silent: so stupid :cwm10:

72_Durstya said:
So what did you buy? The suspence is killing me LOL!

Not ta, I was asking around for CERWIN. He ended up getting a 66 Valiant, but not from the States :drinkers:

RacerRick's hit it on the head. I imported a car last year and that was the procedure that I followed,but my purchase was well in excess of $2000 CDN. After the car was here in Canada,I had the car safety checked by an approved shop who issued the safety sticker,then I went to ICBC (our provincial insurance company) to have the title changed to my name and pay the provincial tax. Pretty easy and straight-forward once you've gone through it.

After reading this post I was thinking,
And some of us all know I do to much of that, :drinkers:
If I found a car in Canada, would the US be so protective of the invierment as yall, :book:
I can see that we have car's on the road here in Arkansas that I would not wan't my children to drive
or have to drive around in trafic.
So I aplode your countries protection on the invierment and safty to the people.
Just a thought from Ar. :thumblef:

-
Back