Improving my 360 combo. Need advice/input

-
Didn't have a degree wheel. That would have been the preferred method. I used a piston stop to find TDC. Just lined everything straight up dot to dot at TDC. Rechecked everything again. Intake and Exhaust valves were also closed at TDC #1.The balancer (newer by the way) mark was spot on after multiple revolutions of the crank. Sprockets lined up too. Then I just pre-loaded the lifters according to the Lunati cam instructions.

Hopefully, I didn't "f" anything up. Here goes:eek:

Didn't have a degree wheel. That would have been the preferred method. I used a piston stop to find TDC. Just lined everything straight up dot to dot at TDC. Rechecked everything again. Intake and Exhaust valves were also closed at TDC #1.The balancer (newer by the way) mark was spot on after multiple revolutions of the crank. Sprockets lined up too. Then I just pre-loaded the lifters according to the Lunati cam instructions.

Hopefully, I didn't "f" anything up. Here goes:eek:

Sounds good to me!

I'm not knocking the degree wheel deal ( or am I ..lol) but I have never used one setting up my motors and always have had great results. Most cams from my understanding have already have 4* ground in the cams. When I nail it the motor always did good, always was easy to time and overall not bad on gas. It is easy to make a mistake and miss one tooth I guess but I always use a 2 ft level help me line the dots up. But I guess trying to line the the cams center line exactly is a different story.

You should be fine Dave. Mullinax95 is right about knocking the degree wheel since centerlining a cam is a pain and not really needed unless you are trying to get every possible bit of HP out of your setup like me. Precision means horsepower & I like being precise. Good luck with your future 360 improvements & I think you will be happy with your lunati cam. My poor little cuda with the same cam(yes mine is centerlined) recently ran & 1/8th mile best of 8.17 @ 86mph.

Oldschoolcuda

Hooray!!!!!

Got the cam broke in and no problems. First crank the dizzy was too far advanced. Backfired a little through the carb. Retarded it a bit and she fired right up. Got the light on her and dialed things in a bit. Total was about 36* at 2500rpm. Oil pressure was steady at about 60-65 and the temp never got above 170*

I love the sound and throttle response. 20 minutes is a long time to wait with open headers. Ears were ringing even with plugs. I had a buddy, that was doing a plumbing job at a house a couple blocks away, call me asking me if that was my car. LOL. :supz:

I'll load a video here shortly. It's kinda long. 5 minutes. Sounds healthy though. Wish I knew how to edit the video down in size.

Congrats on a job well done!!!! I'm doing the same thing right now with my car. Got the cam in but I'm waiting on head gaskets for my eddy's. I'm using cometic's but they haven't arrived yet.

Congrats on a job well done!!!! I'm doing the same thing right now with my car. Got the cam in but I'm waiting on head gaskets for my eddy's. I'm using cometic's but they haven't arrived yet.

Thanks. I use Cometics. Great gaskets. Good luck on yours.

Here's the video. I'm pretty happy with how everything worked out so far. Now comes the fine tuning and getting the exhaust hooked up. Thanks for all the input. :-D

Sounds real good Dave. Just curious. What is the idle vacuum now? I have the 60404 and the vacuum in neutral at idle (825 rpm) is 9 to 9.5" Just wondered how much more the 60403 has.

Sounds real good Dave. Just curious. What is the idle vacuum now? I have the 60404 and the vacuum in neutral at idle (825 rpm) is 9 to 9.5" Just wondered how much more the 60403 has.

You know what I forgot to look. I just wanted to shut her down ASAP before the noise police showed up or something. At 2000 rpm it was 17. I'll let you know.

Nice Dave, I thought you had the exhaust done a month ago?

I had the headers in but the muffler guy needed to keep the car for a day. It is a very tight fit and the flanges needed to be welded on. I'm trying to find another solution other than leaky flanges. Plus I was having trouble keeping the car running well enough just to make it to the shop. The old cam that was in the car was terrible for the street. It stalled twice from overheating and the car would barely run. I decided to swap cams before I took it back to the muffler guy.

Right on Dave !!!
Sounds good !!!

Yeah everything went pretty good. I even got some fireworks :cheers:
We'll be firing yours up soon.

-
Back