In an accident, advice dealing with other ins company

-
If it were me I'd call my ins company. I'd also take it to a shop of my choosing and get an estimate. Make sure your ins co has a copy of that estimate. Let the ins companies work it all out.
Thanks Joe, I did notify my Ins company and they advised that since Geico was taking responsibility for repairing the car, go thru the steps with them and see what happens first. if I have an issue, let them know. Man its killing me just letting the car sit like that. I want to rip the fender off and start making it right again!

Hi,

Sorry you have to go through all the hassle due to someone's carelessness. I can imagine how hard it is to see the car like that.

I would find a shop that does high end collision work, like on BMW's and such or a good restoration shop that deals in classic cars. I would not let one of Geico's "preferred shops" near the car. They are preferred because they save Geico money. They are not fixing a 2012 Toyota to look good and just last a few more years. You want a lasting repair done right.

My wife's car was hit a few years back by a Geico client and they wanted her to use a preferred shop. We declined and took it to a high end local shop. Geico paid the bill and to date the repair has held up well. Most importantly the paint match was spot on and remains so to this day. Good luck, you deserve the car be returned to per-collision condition.

Thanks Pete, we've already decided to use our own shop just because I want someone familiar with old cars to work on it. It seems like most of the Geico shops in my area are big dealerships. They did tell me if I use one of their shops the repair would be guaranteed for life though. I'm really hoping for the best on this, you hear so many bad stories.

I'm in this industry and my advice is, go to the best shop you can find and don't use a Geico DRP shop.

An alignment absolutely needs to be done as part of the repair. That fender will get replaced, if one can be found.

The fender will be painted, the hood and door will be blended. The stripes will need to be replaced.

You likely have some inner damage.

And remember, you, the customer, controls and pays for the repair, not the insurance company.

I'm looking for a good used one, if not AMD is repoping them now. Fingers crossed on the inner damage. Everything seems good, hood didn't move, gaps are good on the other side. I know the fender has to be pulled to see for sure. Thanks! I wish there was a Mopar guy near me that had a shop.

I am in the industry also....what 68FormulaS said.... By the way, like the yellow Duster......

I would go with a good used OEM fender if you can find one, media blasted and then put in epoxy primer. AMD would be a good second choice but I don't trust Chinese E-coat, so I would strip it off and prime in Epoxy. I've seen rust and even dirt under some re-pop Chinese E-coat. A really good shop won't trust it.

Good first line paint is also expensive don't let them use a lower line paint that won't hold up over time. Your right on the big dealerships. The shop Geico wanted my wife to use was a big local GM/ Toyota dealer who I wouldn't trust to fix a lawn mower.

When my nighbors trampoline jumped their fence and hit my wifes car, and ended up on top of my challenger.
First their home owners insurance co Erie, came out and took pictures of both cars sill with the trampoline sitting on them. Then a few of my neighbors and I removed the trampoline.
A few days later the auto adjuster showed up, and asked where I was going to have the car fixed, and gave me an estimate on both cars.
A few days later a check showed up in my name.
I took it too the shop of my choice, signed the check over to the body shop.
There was more damage the shop found on the cars, than on the original estimate, and the insurance co paid up with no hassle on my end.
Let a reputable shop you trust deal with the little stuff that shows up.

When my nighbors trampoline jumped their fence and hit my wifes car, and ended up on top of my challenger.
First their home owners insurance co Erie, came out and took pictures of both cars sill with the trampoline sitting on them. Then a few of my neighbors and I removed the trampoline.
A few days later the auto adjuster showed up, and asked where I was going to have the car fixed, and gave me an estimate on both cars.
A few days later a check showed up in my name.
I took it too the shop of my choice, signed the check over to the body shop.
There was more damage the shop found on the cars, than on the original estimate, and the insurance co paid up with no hassle on my end.
Let a reputable shop you trust deal with the little stuff that shows up.
Glad you had a positive outcome, hoping for the same when I meet with the adjuster.

Update on this, went to our appointment with the Geico adjuster yesterday and left happy. She was only able to cut me a check for the paint work needed on the car at this time. She said the parts are covered in a supplement because she had no way to look them up. I'm allowed to get the parts myself and submit the receipts to them and they will issue another check. I like the fact that I can order the parts I want and will be comfortable with what I get. So far so good. Geico has been standup so far. My hats off to them.

They may not realize it but the way they are treating you is giving them good press that money can't buy. Hope it goes smoothly all the way to the finish line!

I am in the business ( Carstar Collision ) take it the shop of your choice and leave it there. Let the insurance company know where it is and get them to send an appraiser to the shop. Let the shop deal with your insurance company... it's what we do. An insurance policy states that the car has to go back in the same shape as it was before the accident. Pick a good shop to work on your car like you would a doctor or dentist. Blue cross does not send you to the cheap doctor do they?

I am in the business ( Carstar Collision ) take it the shop of your choice and leave it there. Let the insurance company know where it is and get them to send an appraiser to the shop. Let the shop deal with your insurance company... it's what we do. An insurance policy states that the car has to go back in the same shape as it was before the accident. Pick a good shop to work on your car like you would a doctor or dentist. Blue cross does not send you to the cheap doctor do they?
Appreciate your input kazooom

-
Back