In need of help

-

Norton9369

Reaction score
I have a 74 Duster that sat prior to me. It idles fine but under load (trying to drive) it stalls and has no power. Just noticed that the fuel pump is leaking could this be the cause of my problem or should I be looking someplace else also?

Welcome to the site.

How long did it sit?

If it's been sitting for a lengthy time, the fuel tank probably needs cleaned, the fuel line up to the front, and yes, if the pump is leaking, that IS a problem. The carb itself probably needs a rebuild too.

There is a sock on the end of the sending unit in the tank, and if the tank is dirty, which I suspect it is, it can clog up as fuel is being picked up.

Stick a pump on it and see what happens.
It needs one anyway.

Hey Norton,
-I know your carb is gonna look sad in the MJ wells, and the Acc. pump may be ugly too.
-And if thats true, the rest of the system will need to be gone through too. Not what you want to hear, I know. But one tow call later, and you will be wishing you had done it now.
-See when the fuel evaporates, it leaves behind the heavier components, which turn to gum, and then a varnish. Then when you put new fuel in it goes to work on those compounds. Slowly at first, so you may think you got away with it. Eventually that stuff comes off, sometimes in sheets or gooey mats. Then it plugs up your in-tank strainer, and its game over, youre walking.
-That old fuel also sat in the fuel line, and the filter, etc.,where it evaporated as well. Now the line may pass enough fuel to idle or even cruise. But it may be that the first time you hit passing gear, the pump cant bring up enough fuel, so the carb goes lean. Maybe you dont notice it right away. Maybe your pistons do.
-I know its a pita, but in the big picture, you will be doing yourself a favor to at least drop the tank, replace the sock,inspect that tank, and blow out the lines, and do whatever it takes re the tank.BTW, blowing out the lines doesnt prove much.It could be 50% plugged.Or 95%. How can you tell?
- So after reassembly,if you didnt replace the hardline, you will need to perform a fuel delivery test.
-And finally, replace the fuel filter, and all rubber lines. Buy a spare filter and put it in the glovebox. Sooner or later you will need it. Oxygenated fuels are very good at cleaning the fuel system.
-You can spend the time and money now, or later after the tow. If you choose later, be sure to pack your winter gear, and carry a couple of bills for the tow company.

If you're going to rebuild the carb anyway, get a new float, I had to replace mine after it stranded me; same as yours, it sat for years. It's better to do now, rather than when you have to.

-
Back