In-tank fuel pump

-

moparman9

Reaction score
Is anyone running an in tank fuel pump spliced into the original a-body fuel pickup? Or any other mounting options to put a pump in the original tank without cutting/welding the tank? (other than buying a fuel injection tank from Tanks, inc.)

It can be done.17 years ago when aftermarket FI was starting out we did a F.A.S.T set up in a Duster. Using a stock pickup we grafted on a 90's Corvette pump and a return line.The fuel gauge swing arm and float were retained.

What holds the pickup tube/sender assembly in the tank wall wasn't engineered to support the weight and inertia of a electric pump. Has it been done? Yes sir, we've seen pics of it. Did it have seal leak issues? Don't know ( Folks don't typically post their failures ). Will it leak? Time will tell. Good luck

The pump was braced and connections were soldered.Shake down run was a 1500 mile trip. We did have a leak at the return fitting connection due to poor solder job.It was replaced with a bolt in fitting while on the road.I will say that there isn't much room to work with on the pickup flange. The next one we did had the return soldered into the tank next to the pickup.

Good info, I suspected it would work. I would definitely plan on bracing the pump with extra supports. Darter6, did you have any fuel starvation issues under hard acceleration or cornering?

No,You will have to measure to get the proper depth. Also use the Corvette pickup screen (sock). I'm one of these guys that hardly ever let the tank get below 1/2. I like to keep the pump submerged and cool.

-
Back