In Tank Pump

-

gerrys

Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of installing a 5.7l into my '69 Dart and since I needed to add a electric pump I decided to put it in the tank like the Durango that I 'harvested' the engine from.
This car is a daily driver so I wanted the install to be as unobtrusive as possible (no mods to the trunk!). I made up this assembly to install it into the existing sender hole. I'll still need to add an external regulator (with a return line) near the tank, but will only need a single 3/8" fuel line to the engine.

Pump3.jpg

installed2.jpg

Looks good and nice job! I see no reason why your setup wouldn't work, but you will be shooting a ton of fuel back in the tank at 45 psi. That may cause aeration problems below half a tank. It may cause a lot of pressure vapor build up too and you may have a persistant fuel smell at the rear of the car. I would put the by-pass regulator way up front for a couple of reasons:

1. @ 45 psi all the way into the engine compartment you'll never have vapor lock.

2. returning the fuel through a 15' line instead of just few feet should drop the pressure some before it shoots back into the tank. Easier access to 7 psi fuel for n2o in the future too.

Just a thought. :)

I was also concerned with the amount of return / waste fuel going back to the tank and have a PWM controller that watches the engine vacuum to reduce the speed of the pump to ~ 50% under low throttle (high vacuum).
I hope that'll be enough to avoid alot of aeration of the fuel.
If it's still a problem the original 5/16" is still there to use as a return line...

It will be interesting to know if the original seal and locking ring design will be sufficient. You have added both weight and the pump motors starting torque to what was pretty weak already. Good luck and keep us updated.
I planned to go through the top of the tank with 89 Honda parts including the access door in the trunk floor. My only goal is delete the mechanical fuel pump so I can put the a/c compumper there.

Very nice work.
I had asked before if anyone had tried this.
Will your system be up and running soon?
Could you explain in more detail the workings of
the PWM controler and its wiring in the system?
Thanks
Longarm

I use the same set up in my dart wagon and use the 5/16 fuel line for return and the only diference is the Fuel injection for the 3.9 has the fuel reg mounted in the fuel rail.

What did you use for a bulkhead to run the power to the pump through the sending unit? I've been looking, but haven't been able to come up with anything good yet.
Thanks,
Jon

-
Back