In this week's episode of bore or scrap it.

-
If the 318 is the numbers matching block for your Duster, you might save it for a conversation piece. Who knows....1 sleeve might save it.

Which is why I clean one up regardless, instead of just pulling the plug. I want to see ALL the carnage. Because if it is just one, and it's the only one I have, it will get repaired.

I agree with RRR about putting an eyeball on your cousins method. If I've got a motor that is stuck tighter than a drum like that, I spray the cylinders down with PB Blaster, and let it set a while. If it still won't budge, I will put a short piece of a 2 x 4 in each cylinder, and give it a whack to shock the stuck rings loose. No need to keep frailing on it. Always make sure to take the timing chain off beforehand too. I took a 225 apart for a little science project I'm working on, and it was stuck bad. Took the chain off and it rolled over. I like to have never got the cam beat out of that thing!

I agree with RRR about putting an eyeball on your cousins method. If I've got a motor that is stuck tighter than a drum like that, I spray the cylinders down with PB Blaster, and let it set a while. If it still won't budge, I will put a short piece of a 2 x 4 in each cylinder, and give it a whack to shock the stuck rings loose. No need to keep frailing on it. Always make sure to take the timing chain off beforehand too. I took a 225 apart for a little science project I'm working on, and it was stuck bad. Took the chain off and it rolled over. I like to have never got the cam beat out of that thing!
Yea, maybe it's my fault, he doesn't have a method, I told him to knock the **** out of the piston to get it out, so he did. He has bench pressed me draped over the weights before so I should have known there is a such thing as too much on engine parts.

I still have a 360 to unlock and I see those as being as valuable as 340s, so that's one I'm going to watch real close.

As far as the numbers blocks, the duster is running great with a 360 replacement so i don't NEED the 318 but as you suggested clean it up and keep it handy.

Gosh, I guess a lot of yall can pick and choose. I've never had that luxury. I've cleaned up worse blocks than that before. You know, some people get great satisfaction bringing back something from the dead......even if it is something there's a pile of. It'a a lot of fun and very rewarding. Yall remember what that 400 crankshaft looked like I soaked in vinegar? A stock stroke 400 cast crank most people would have thrown away.
1st thought was the valley looks like a landfill. The lifter bores could be all pitted.

I would hold onto the numbers matching block, even if junk. It would be just nice to have. As for going forward with your cousin loosening the stuck engines, the process should be looked at closely. Best of luck.

On the 69 383 I freed up recently I covered the pistons with evaporust and left them over night. The bores were covered with plastic to eliminate evaporation. On 3 of the pistons I had to fill from the inside. You could see where it drained out past the rings once it freed up. Ball hone and new rings is what it will get.

Any of you building re ring Motors out of cores that had stuck rings from rust...are building blow by machines.

-
Back