In what order should i do everything?

-

fredsmedina

6 Dart 7 MOPAR OR NOCAR
Reaction score
i have everything that i need to do all of the necessary stuff on my dart.

including the front end rebuild kit, new tci transmission, new hedman headers, new pypes complete exhaust system , and new rear end with new leaf springs.

in what order do you guys think i should start putting everything together?
i've been debating back and fourth on what order to do everything.

for my headers, i am going to need to take apart part of the suspension anyways, and maybe with the old headers out of the way, the transmission install might be easier.

i'm just confusing myself trying to think of what order to do the stuff in.

any suggeestions help..

Do front end rebuild then rear end and trans at the same time then exhaust then headers.

Do front end rebuild then rear end and trans at the same time then exhaust then headers.

well fo rmy header instal, i need to take apart some of the front end. so wouldn't it make sense to do headers and front end at the same time? i'm not sure..

the other dilema is that the headers will be in my way then when i do the tranny

so i am not sure what to do

I ran into that on my tranny R/R......putting the tranny in originally with no headers was a breeze...

Tougher to drop it and reinstall with the headers in place....the jack I have hads front/back and side/side tilt controls which made all the difference. Other wise one header would have had to come off.

Now thats in a Barracuda....not sure about in an a-body. But it stands to reason that it will be easier to do the tranny first.

I ran into that on my tranny R/R......putting the tranny in originally with no headers was a breeze...

Tougher to drop it and reinstall with the headers in place....the jack I have hads front/back and side/side tilt controls which made all the difference. Other wise one header would have had to come off.

Now thats in a Barracuda....not sure about in an a-body. But it stands to reason that it will be easier to do the tranny first.

alright thanks

i do have old headers on there now though. so i'll probably start taking apart the suspension so that i can get the old headers off, and then put the new tranny on. and then i can finish up on putting the new headers in and the front end back together

So it sounds like your new headers have the one pipe that runs under the cross link?

I went with Doug;s headers specifically to avoid that.....figured it would improve ground clearance issues (I already have a deep sump oil and tranny pan combo)....plus ease of install/removal if needed.

So it sounds like your new headers have the one pipe that runs under the cross link?

I went with Doug;s headers specifically to avoid that.....figured it would improve ground clearance issues (I already have a deep sump oil and tranny pan combo)....plus ease of install/removal if needed.

yes i believe my headers go under the cross link. not 100% sure. so i have to read the instruction sheet for them again. but i remember i have to take apart something with the front suspension/steering..

Makes sense. My headers i got to pull the motor out a little. its ridiculous.
Good luck.

thanks

my header install instructions were unclear on weather or not i have to pull the engine up a bit, it did say for some applications though that you need to raise the motor about 3 inches. so we'll see!

thanks

my header install instructions were unclear on weather or not i have to pull the engine up a bit, it did say for some applications though that you need to raise the motor about 3 inches. so we'll see!

I cant remember where I was at in the progress of this project when I originally started this thread. But since this post, I started a relationship that really got me distracted from my true passion of working on the dart. unfortunately, the 2 year relationship came to an end a couple weeks ago..Since then, I have been back into my hobby, and getting alot done.

The rear end is all installed, the front end is all rebuilt now as well. I did leave some of the front end loose still though, until I get the full weight into the car.

So I still need to install the engine, trans, and also the headers onto the engine. What do you guys recommend I should do to install these.? Should I bolt up the Engine/trans and drop them in as one unit? And also, what about bolting the headers up, and dropping the engine(with headers), and transmission in all together?

I don't know if this even makes sense, because it might not work to clear the headers also..

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions for me? thanks

-
Back