increasing block strength

-

abdywgn

dismantler
Reaction score
I saw the post about Indy and W-2 heads where it was mentioned that an aftermarket block "should" be in the mix. What can be done to a factory block to bolster it's HP increase containment? Partial block fill? Main cap replacement? Main cap girdle? As a side to the block fill, what is "lightweight" block fill? Is that an epoxy or...? Thanks for your answers! Bob

Half fill and main girdle. Cross your fingers and pray.

I saw the post about Indy and W-2 heads where it was mentioned that an aftermarket block "should" be in the mix. What can be done to a factory block to bolster it's HP increase containment? Partial block fill? Main cap replacement? Main cap girdle? As a side to the block fill, what is "lightweight" block fill? Is that an epoxy or...? Thanks for your answers! Bob

You probably should start out by saying how much horsepower you would like to aim for.

probably no amount that would NEED any of this amount of work. what I'd like is examples of what could or should be done to use a factory installed block. at what HP levels would you add....that is what I'm asking. those with the experience sharing with others that haven't entered that territory as of yet.

If I were trying to build the most power with, for example, a stroker 440.... I would start with the strongest thickest casting I could find, bore it the minimum amount, consider a main cap change depending on what kind of power adder, either aluminum or steel caps, a partial fill, and a girdle.
Machining costs will add up quickly, but not near as much $$ as an aftermarket block. The question, that I don't know the answer to, is at what point does the bandaids to a stock block become not enough, and a aftermarket block become mandatory? I have a buddy who is building for 2000 hp. He's using a solid aluminum tall deck KB block.

I've wondered if a front and mid plate would take care of the flex issue.

probably no amount that would NEED any of this amount of work. what I'd like is examples of what could or should be done to use a factory installed block. at what HP levels would you add....that is what I'm asking. those with the experience sharing with others that haven't entered that territory as of yet.

i beat the piss out of a .040 (360) block that was rebuilt three times and in need of its fourth rebuilt when it finally broke a rod. I pulled it out of my car to rebuild and a few months later my son asked to borrow it. I knew better but hey, it was my son. The block could have been fixed with one sleeve but I had already made up my mind it was time to scrap it. It ran 9.70’s in my car at 2860 pounds and 10.10 in my sons car at 3200 pounds. Nothing special at all was done to that block.

I'm running a .070 360 with W2 heads, 13.9 compression with partial block fill, and that's pretty much it. Not sure what the exact HP is as I haven't been able to get the car on a chassis dyno yet, but the math formulas say 525-550ish. I run 10.0s in the 1/4 @ 130 shifting at only 6500. Haven't had any block issues, but I've only been running this engine for 2.5 seasons, and the seasons are short up here in the northeast.

I'm running a .070 360 with W2 heads, 13.9 compression with partial block fill, and that's pretty much it. Not sure what the exact HP is as I haven't been able to get the car on a chassis dyno yet, but the math formulas say 525-550ish. I run 10.0s in the 1/4 @ 130 shifting at only 6500. Haven't had any block issues, but I've only been running this engine for 2.5 seasons, and the seasons are short up here in the northeast.

Season is too short up here. What track are you running at?

Season is too short up here. What track are you running at?
Oxford & Winterport in Maine, New England and your home track Lebanon Valley. I'll be at LVD Memorial Day weekend. By seasons are short up here I meant relative to what the southern states run. Oxford doesn't open for another 3 weeks and Winterport is first weekend in May.

Oxford & Winterport in Maine, New England and your home track Lebanon Valley. I'll be at LVD Memorial Day weekend. By seasons are short up here I meant relative to what the southern states run. Oxford doesn't open for another 3 weeks and Winterport is first weekend in May.

I was agreeing about it being too short. Christ, we are lucky to get 6 months. Start in May and often see snow in October. I can't wait to leave NYS. 10 years left here, maybe less.....

-
Back