Indianapolis

-
OK, here goes...
I've followed the Indy 500 for a lot of years. As a young kid I listened to the radio coverage of the "Greatest Spectacle In Racing" because that was the only coverage there was on the day of the race. You had to wait several weeks for condensed television race coverage on the "Wide World of Sports".
After I got my drivers license, Memorial Day was traditionally a day spent at Huntington Beach (SoCal) but I still listened to the race while driving to the beach.
Later, ABC started showing tape-delayed night time television coverage the same day but you had to stay away from the radio coverage in order to really enjoy the delayed TV broadcast.
It was really a treat when they started showing the race on television live.
Now we get 1100 miles of racing between the 500 miles of Indy and the 600 miles later the same day at the NASCAR Coca-Cola 600. Even more if you get up really early to watch F1 at Monaco. I enjoy the Indy cars and NASCAR, but drag racing is still my first choice of racing.
I've never been much of a fan of F1 and I'm not getting up to watch Monaco at 4AM PDT.

OK, here goes...
I've followed the Indy 500 for a lot of years. As a young kid I listened to the radio coverage of the "Greatest Spectacle In Racing" because that was the only coverage there was on the day of the race. You had to wait several weeks for condensed television race coverage on the "Wide World of Sports".
After I got my drivers license, Memorial Day was traditionally a day spent at Huntington Beach (SoCal) but I still listened to the race while driving to the beach.
Later, ABC started showing tape-delayed night time television coverage the same day but you had to stay away from the radio coverage in order to really enjoy the delayed TV broadcast.
It was really a treat when they started showing the race on television live.
Now we get 1100 miles of racing between the 500 miles of Indy and the 600 miles later the same day at the NASCAR Coca-Cola 600. Even more if you get up really early to watch F1 at Monaco. I enjoy the Indy cars and NASCAR, but drag racing is still my first choice of racing.
I've never been much of a fan of F1 and I'm not getting up to watch Monaco at 4AM PDT.
I’ve had almost the same experience starting when I was just a little boy. We would always attend a church picnic and the men would play cards and listen to the Indy 500 on the radio. I still get chills when they sing Back Home in Indiana. The only thing that I miss is the lack of individual innovation. Everything seems “cookie cutter” now. Gone are the days of the Offy, Novi, Ford, turbine, and pushrod engines.

I've never really been an Indy Car or CART fan, appreciate the technology though.

I worked there during the 97 500. Im a recently retired union electrician, and was on standby for the 97 race.
Met my wife while working there. She was the receptionist for the Indy Racing League, and she eventually became the assistant to the director of racing operations, and then their travel coordinator. She was there for 16 years, and Indycar was a daily part of my life during that time.
Although we still watch the 500 on television, and only live 10 minutes west of the speedway, the novelty of it all wore off a long time ago.

-
Back