Indy Car Brake Loss after 180-mph straightaway...

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Check out this wild ride from Indy Car qualifying at Mid-Ohio today...no brakes at the end of a 180-mph straightaway

MSN

I know the drycleaner wouldn't want to see my driving suit!

Wow. That was intense.

Those cars are a marvel of engineering to keep drivers safe. 40 or 50 years ago, no one was walking away from that unscathed. It's pretty incredible

Check out this wild ride from Indy Car qualifying at Mid-Ohio today...no brakes at the end of a 180-mph straightaway

MSN

I know the drycleaner wouldn't want to see my driving suit!
Thought Indy car still ran kill switches on their steering wheels just for just type of thing

[QUOTE="Just Send It, post: 1974365578, member: 60235"

Those cars are a marvel of engineering ....
[/QUOTE]
Apart from the brake system:steering:

better that outcome than head on into that tire barrier with very little speed scrubbed off. Glad he is OK, viscous crash.

Kill switch would do no good there. By the time you realize you have no brakes and get the switch, you are WAY beyond the point of no return and off track.

Between this event & the Pikes Peak event I think race teams need to find a better brake tech... The kid from the now defunct Sears Tire & Auto Center ain't cutting it...

better that outcome than head on into that tire barrier with very little speed scrubbed off. Glad he is OK, viscous crash.

Kill switch would do no good there. By the time you realize you have no brakes and get the switch, you are WAY beyond the point of no return and off track.
Most likely, but I was just curious if they still had them

Between this event & the Pikes Peak event I think race teams need to find a better brake tech... The kid from the now defunct Sears Tire & Auto Center ain't cutting it...
I'm not sure about the Pikes Peak thing, but years back Indycar and not sure about the CART series, had an issue with rotors exploding..and the road race at Sonoma(I believe) NAPCAR just had a couple weekends ago had at least 2 rotor fails if I'm not mistaken. With Indy/CART type cars they went to carbon fiber because the cars had gotten so fast that on cooler days the thermal shock up & down was to much for the alloys they were using...pricey & they may still fail which is usually instant.... & .just like the Titan, catastrophic.
Road courses are full of hazards, seen & unseen, it's risky buisiness..small animal impacts, debris, heat of battle, undetected faulty parts ......**** happens & can kill You w/o warning, it is what it is. Very glad He was able to walk away, I'm sure He's feeling that tho'!!! Hope He makes a full recovery & is back at it. I saw the Michael Andretti crash live during that race, stopped on His lid, everybody was holding their breath on that one as well.

-
Back