Indy head conversion questions

-

ken5124

65 Valiant Signet
Reaction score
Need your help. I have purchased Indy LA-X heads for my 318 Block.

1. The center exhaust ports appear to need .10 wider on the inside up and down edges( both sides between the 2 ports) opened up to match the gasket set I was using on my 318 heads. I am using Hooker super comp headers.Anyone else encountered this? Is it safe to open the exhaust ports up on the inner side with my die grinder?

2. What header Gasket number are you using for this head? I was using Felpro 1432. Is there a set that better matches this head on the center ports, or is there any easy way to trim these to widen them out and match the outside edge of the port hole?

3.These heads do not allow the use of my single v groove belt original Alternator. I understand Hughes has a kit to adapt a 85-91 Toyota 4 cyl alt to work with the magnum style head. Anyone have any other options of what I should be looking for a the wrecking yards?

Attachments

• exhaust ports.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 208
I'll throw my opinion out on #1.....

If they were mine, i would definitely clean up the inside of those ports. Not sure i'd go all the way to the gaskets though, maybe half way from what i see in the pics. Main thing is to not get carried away and touch/lower the floors of those ports.

I am curious about what looks like a overlap with the gasket on the outside though? Someone with a answer on question #2 may shed some light on that?

I just got a new set with the 2.02 option I better have nothing but good luck with these what is the problem with your alternater belt or pulley your talking about were were putting on Friday if all goes well . I hope my intake lines up better than that gasket, I am using a fel-pro set as well with rhs head bolts any 1 had problems please chime in on what to watch for setting them on and taking off with some buger on them to see where I line up at??

why it the head sticking in the way of the belt is my first concern now, can you help explain what bracket are you using the leg and arm brackets or the brackets on the waterpump itself ???

I just got a new set with the 2.02 option I better have nothing but good luck with these what is the problem with your alternater belt or pulley your talking about were were putting on Friday if all goes well . I hope my intake lines up better than that gasket, I am using a fel-pro set as well with rhs head bolts any 1 had problems please chime in on what to watch for setting them on and taking off with some buger on them to see where I line up at??

The only gasket I see above is the exhaust.....unless I am missing something....

the back of the alternator itself contacts the head.

I found Felpro gasket set 1413 has wider openings so that should help the exhaust gasket openings,

-
Back