Indy heads

-

djwhog

Reaction score
Just wanted to get some feedback on the Indy heads for a small block use on a stroker 416, power, performance, issues, mounting, quality etc.

Also what about exhaust headers, intake minimum compression ratios etc.

360-1 CNC-245 models

Anyone running these heads, how are they if so?

Thanks!

i put these heads on my 416 i thought that i could grow with them later. i dont have the cnc version , i ordered them through shadydell and had there stage one done to them , as far as power i dont know , i just put it in the car last night along with the trans tonight. maybe later in the month i will have it running. heres some pics. (sorry dial up there big)

also i put them on a 10.1 compression engine for pump gas. i didnt have any problems with them , but the t d rockers are high, i also used the 1 7/8 tti headers.

fourwheelerpics016.jpg

fourwheelerpics011.jpg

fourwheelerpics006-1.jpg

fourwheelerpics004-1.jpg

360-1flowchartstageoneshadydell.jpg

I ran them on my 418
360-1 CNC ported by Indy and intake matched
11.5 compression
Mopar performance 557" lift solid cam
1 7/8 w2 TTI headers
72 Demon
4:88 gear

Ran the 1/8" mile 7 seconds flat at 99 mph

My guess was about 500 HP

Lots of fun and lots of money

Thanks guys, will wait to here more after you get her running. What is diff on the CNC version? And what is effect on compression with these heads> I saw the reccomend like 12:1, but if you are running say 10:1 what do you end up on a .030 over 340 416 stroker?

thanks! They look nice and have great flow numbers, what intake do you guys use?

Nice so can it live on the street at all? I was looking at going eldebrook heads and a port job on them, but I was looking into these Indy heads, and the W9s. A lot of $$ but I think there is a lot more power in them than I can ever mak ewith a X iron head. I will need to re-cam, new intake most likely cuase the Airgap wont work, and a larger carb too. I run an 800 AVS right now.

Thanks for all the help!

That 2.10 intake does not work well at low rpms. The amount of air speed, or lack there of, will not help your low speed response. That CNC INDY head works great with a big cam with lots of gearing and compression. Edelbrock RPM heads with new valve seals will flow better that the X or J head w/o the weight

I'm doing a little homework on these too. Honestly, unless you have a 420" or better, that will make peak power in the 7K range, they are too big for most things. Also, the max diameter intake valve for any bore is 51% of the bore size. that means the usual 4.07 bore 340 based 416 should have an intake smaller than 2.075 or it will suffer shrouding issues. I was looking at W5s, but the best fit for this build I think sill be Edelbrock RPM Magnums with a little cleanup. I have several LA 416 dynoing between 520 and 540 with Ryans stage 3 LA RPMs and mid sized roller cams on pump gas.

360-1-245 cnc heads intake and t&d 1.6 rocker on shady dell bench 338 @650 and same on my mate bench ,wee stripped heads cleaning up castings and seat to port slight lip they went to 348 @650 .lost 15 cfm with intake,will play with that soon.you can use your pipes with a bit of match porting , few people have had trouble with there rockers use td very nice

how did you go with your heads ? mine makes 460 hp with 245-1 , indy recondmend them to me 16 weeks ago.but now they say way to big its good to spend your hard erned dollar (6000 $) of them and run the same times as you did with j on it.

I am going to Indys soon .Right now I have a eddie headed 408 running 11.16.I was going to port then yada,yada the whole deal but for the money I was going to sell off the eddie stuff and go for it .I already have the tti w2 1-7/8 headers.I was told 2 diff heads to go with,1st set ovals get them cnc to 230cc with all the trimmings 2nd deal go with rec std 210cc more than plenty volume and can get them cnc later if needed. Right now I am still thinking .

mine has been a slug, because the cam timming was retarded. you can get better prices than of indy. i get the indys -2 cnc makes 630 hp ,408 11.6 comp ,262@050 ,basic combo .you will need rockers,intake,pushrods as well .

I agree. These heads may be more than you need. But if you think you may 'grow' into the heads, then yes. They make can big power. Likely the best 58 degree head that can be run on stock blocks (IMO). I traded a fully preppared set of W7's for mine. Just waiting for the opertune time to use them. And like all mopar raceware, they are expensive.

I really think the volumes are simply too large for most street/strip engines. RPMs are only 171ccs OOTB, and as I recall end up in the 210-220 range when ported nicely. I think midrange and any low end will suffer going to 245. It's just too large for anything you'll need with street gearing and tight convertors.

edited, I had my numbers confused...

I was wanting to run a blow through supercharger with mine. I'm thinking these heads will really like that. Any Thought's?

i will be running mine on the 25 in 2 weeks time, let you how they go then. theres a guy here running a 410 eddie heads blow threw turbo running eights the 1/4 and a guy with your truck engine 6 runs 159 mph 8.8 single turbo, cast head,crank etc 245 cubes.

I TOOK OFF SHADY DELL EDDY STAGE 3 & PUT ON INDY WITH HENSLEY FULL PORT & PRO CHARGER 15 LB. BOOST@ 6000.1 7/8 TTI. 904 TRANS. 373 REAR FULL BODY.. WENT BEST OF 6.28 AT..115 IN 1/8-THRU 3" EX. & DOT SLICKS.PICS OF MY CAR SRE ON THIS SITE.I HAVE THE EDDY HEADS FOR SALE COMPLETE e-MAIL ME AT [email protected] FOR PH. NO.

I Replaced A Set Of Shady Dell Stage 3 Eddy ..with Full Port Indy From Hensley..pro Charger W 15 Boost @ 6000..3.73 Rear..3" Ex. Full Body Car ..went Best Of 6.28 @115..eddy Heads Are For Sale {cheery} Complete W/rockers Pushrods Int V.c.

I Replaced A Set Of Shady Dell Stage 3 Eddy ..with Full Port Indy From Hensley..pro Charger W 15 Boost @ 6000..3.73 Rear..3" Ex. Full Body Car ..went Best Of 6.28 @115..eddy Heads Are For Sale {cheery} Complete W/rockers Pushrods Int V.c.

What it the same combination with the Eddy heads? if so how much did your times improve with the Indys?

Would love more info on your engine like cam & compression you are using.

-
Back