Inexpensive Paint Rehab

-

Demon 408

Reaction score
When I bought my Demon it was a good 20/20 car (looked good at 20 mph and 20 feet away). To rehabilitate the paint I used a Preval sprayer (available at Lowe’s) and a good single stage paint. I was able to repaint the engine compartment, radiator supput, door jambs, trunk jamb, front and rear window channels (removed windows of course), and the inside of the doors and interior metal c-pillar pieces. I also touched up the bottom of the rockers and quarter panels. After paint I used a 2500 grit wet paper and then buffed with a basic hand drill and polish. This was definitely an inexpensive rehab. I used the Preval sprayer because I do not have a paint gun or adequate compressor. This made my Demon a 0/10 car (looks good from 10 feet standing still). Anybody can do the same thing with minimal investment and skills. Check out the pics…

Paint00.jpg

Paint01.jpg

Paint02.jpg

Paint03.jpg

Paint04.jpg

Paint09.jpg

Paint10.jpg

Paint11.jpg

Paint12.jpg

Paint13.jpg

when I was younger we painted a BMX bike with one of those paint systems and it came out great!

that demon came out looking pretty good, way to go!

Great result for a garage/home job,that little sprayer you used seems to have done the business...I believe its all in the preparation and how much work you want to do to make a decent finish...Ive got a mate over here that paints his cars with the vaccuum cleaner powered spray outfit....sure he spends a LOT of time when its done rubbing it with gradually finer grades of wet and dry,but damn the come out looking good!

Reminiscent of the foam roller paint jobs...

Thanks guys. It's a great little system for small repairs and touch up. I've used this system before. The engine compartment turned out really well and saved me a trip to a body shop/painter.

It looks great to me!
I love these low buck tips and tricks.
How much does it cost for this set up?

It looks great to me!
I love these low buck tips and tricks.
How much does it cost for this set up?

Not much, less than $10 for the intial sprayer and glass jar. Then you can buy additional sprayer cartridges seperately. I bought two with the glass jar so you can mix a larger batch of paint and keep spraying when doing a larger area. The key is in the paint and primer. You need to buy decent paint and mix per directions. The Preval lays it down heavy so you need to practice your technique. I found a good single stage like PPG works best. I used 2500 grit and then paint polish to "even" out the orange peel and deepen the shine.

It's a great little system for small repairs and touch up.

I agree. If I have one or two small parts which need to be sprayed and don't want to crank up the gun, even if it's my touch up gun, the compressor, and the hoses, I use one of these. It's also cheap enough that if I don't feel like cleaning it, then I really don't have to, unlike my guns.

The fact that you did an entire car with one speaks less about the system, in my opinion, than your determination and skill. It looks good.

The fact that you did an entire car with one speaks less about the system, in my opinion, than your determination and skill. It looks good.

Thanks, BUT...I did NOT do the entire car. I only did interior of doors and c-pillar pieces, engine comparment, the door jambs and trunk jamb and bottom of rockers and quarter panels. Then I buffed the entire car.

Thanks, BUT...I did NOT do the entire car. I only did interior of doors and c-pillar pieces, engine comparment, the door jambs and trunk jamb and bottom of rockers and quarter panels. Then I buffed the entire car.

Sorry, I misread it.

Still a large area to be using one on, especially, as you said, it's primarily for small parts and touch up. I really don't see the engine compartment and it's associated parts as small. :-D

But what I said, still stands. It's more about your determination and skill to do it and have it turn out well.

Beautiful job for the cost involved; I could definitely see doing the same to touch up my rockers and other areas.
Thanks for the post, great info.

Do those sprayers have a tendency to freeze or frost up? I have some in the garage that have a slightly different setup than yours that I had to keep changing out the propellant cans for them to work even half way. They have a paint cup that mounts in front of the propellant can, with the spray button on top of the propellant can. I wasn't impressed with the spray consistency of mine. They tend to sputter a lot. Looks like yours work pretty well though. Great job! I have to admit, I thought you painted the whole car at first! #-o

WOW......sweeeeet job.:thumbrig: Are you a body guy? Also, did you spray clear over it when complete?

WOW......sweeeeet job.:thumbrig: Are you a body guy? Also, did you spray clear over it when complete?

Thanks. No I'm not a paint/body guy. But I learned to use the Preval Sprayer for small jobs way back in the early 70s (if you can beleive that). Remember, I did NOT paint the entire car with this (just to be clear, again). Although it works really well for engine compartment, interior, jambs, and exterior touch up. I used a single stage paint, not a two stage (base/clear) because it's less work and can still be smoothed out with the 2500 grit wet and a good polish.

-
Back