inexpensive welder?

-

DartorDemon

Banned
Reaction score
Unfortunately i don't have any friends with welders so i thought i should ask here. i really just need something to do a little tack welding.

I just bought a Lincoln wire fed Mig welder off of summit. I used the 10% off with it. It was around 320 bucks! Its a 110v, does Flux Core and Mig welding up to 1/8th inch thick. I bought an auto darkening helmet that i think is a must. The bottle with gas is pretty expensive the first time around.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LCN-K2185-1/

Try Harbor Frieght. I bought their 90 amp 110 volt flux core wire welder on sale for $90. The welds are not pretty, (I'm a novice) but it works great for up to 3/16" metal. I used it to weld on bucket seat re-enforcement brackets and to beef up the floor pan where the pinion snubber hits the floor. I also bought an auto darkening helmet...that really improved my welding ability!:-D

REALLY cheap? Harbor Frieght sells a flux core wire welder for about $90.00

*EDIT* I just looked on-line and couldn't find it....I can't remember where I saw it, but it was within the past week (maybe in a magazine).

Try Harbor Frieght. I bought their 90 amp 110 volt flux core wire welder on sale for $90. The welds are not pretty, (I'm a novice) but it works great for up to 3/16" metal. I used it to weld on bucket seat re-enforcement brackets and to beef up the floor pan where the pinion snubber hits the floor. I also bought an auto darkening helmet...that really improved my welding ability!:-D

yeah that could be an idea. I might be building a turbo setup for my "daily driver" and i just need to tack the pipes together for the header piece and then go get it welded up properly when i sort out the piping. Since i can't exactly zip tie the pipes in place. :read2:

One thing to watch is that some of the cheap welders are what I call an always on, which means the tip is live even without pressing the trigger...can be a real pain it butt.
AL

One thing to watch is that some of the cheap welders are what I call an always on, which means the tip is live even without pressing the trigger...can be a real pain it butt.
AL

The Harbor freight model tip is hot when you flip it to the "on" position. Not really a big deal if your just looking to tack weld. But...if you want to do nice welds that look good or weld body panels I would buy a better welder.

i recommend if you can afford it get one that has or is adaptable to gas shield for you can run smaller wire than a flux core. then you can weld thinner metal such as body metal. you buy cheap you get cheap.

Lots of good info here. Spend a little extra and get a better welder. I would stay away from the flux core and get a gas/mig. Buy it local and make sure the supplier has nozzles, gas shields, liners etc available. Those consumables will be needed eventually. I have been in the tool business for 20 years now and I woild choose Miller, Lincoln, and Hobart in that order. Mac used to carry small
Astro brand welders. Italian made and not too bad for the price. Getting parts
after they were dropped from our line was a different story. Try your local welding supplier. They may have some trade ins. toolmanmike

Harbor Freight had one on sale for $90. I wouldn't use it for anything structural but my neighbor did patch his quarters on his GTO with one.

I did a little research before we got the Lincoln threw Summit,we went down to the welding supply store and because it is a Lincoln we can get extra tips and sheilds for it, the Harbor freight welder is a Chicago Electric, never heard of them but Harbor freight does back them up.

Bob / Bryce

-
Back