inflating tires with fire

-

1969dodgedartgt

Reaction score
well i bet a lot of you know this trick, but its new to me.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZhszvMjvjg&NR=1"]YouTube - Seal A Tire Bead with Starting Fluid[/ame]

Yea, this is nothing new, was around long before online videos or before Bill Gates was slopping down his pablum

Starting fluid (ether) works better.
Evaporates quicker.
You can spray it a lot easier.

Yep done it a hundred times when racing fourwheelers. But if it doesnt bead up first time dont keep adding starter fluid. I couldnt get one to bead up so I kept adding more starter fluid then when I lit the fumes it blew the tire over the bead and gave me 8 hours of ears ringing.

Yep done it a hundred times when racing fourwheelers. But if it doesnt bead up first time dont keep adding starter fluid. I couldnt get one to bead up so I kept adding more starter fluid then when I lit the fumes it blew the tire over the bead and gave me 8 hours of ears ringing.

what?

LOL, huh?

Seen this done stretching skinny tall tires on 8 - 10 inch rims...pickup tires...good in the snow..

Never used fire. Ratchet ties downs for me. Small home depot ones work for smaller tires, the wide yellow trailer ones for larger tires.

It's stupid, dangerous and can get you KILLED the **** out of. I'm talkin CLOSED COFFIN. lol

Starting fluid (ether) works better.
Evaporates quicker.
You can spray it a lot easier.

Yep. Thats what I use when a semi tire will not bead up. Put some around one side of the tire. Light it then have some one on the other side put the air to it. Bang! Works every time. Way better than that stupid rubber ring. Just use a little though or it can blow the tire right off the rim.

So let me get this right, you spray starting fluid inside of the tire, then you light it, and the tire is on fire inside?? and the expanding gases inside seal the tire bead??? WOW how many guys will put too much starting fluid inside the tire and blow themselves up?? I agree with StrokerScamp on this one, looks like trouble to me.

dont worry guys, hes got safety glasses on.... hahaha

no I agree it literally playing with fire, I'd want somekinda remote ignition, or I'd have to be pretty darn despite (like life or death, cause thats whats on the line when your inches away from a tire which may be largely overinflated in milliseconds)

Flinging a match has always been my safest bet, it usually ends up in the tire as oxygen is sucked in. Used this trick in Iraq on a few tires after watching our mechanics try to use ratchet straps to set the bead, any soldier loves pyro.

Oh yeah thats fun! Country boy fix to put 44's on a 15" rim!!! DONE THIS MANY TIMES! and my butthole always puckers when I throw the match at it!!!!!

Yep. Thats what I use when a semi tire will not bead up. Put some around one side of the tire. Light it then have some one on the other side put the air to it. Bang! Works every time. Way better than that stupid rubber ring. Just use a little though or it can blow the tire right off the rim.

Yes sir... in the semi truck world there is nothing any better to seat the tire.

this is a cool trick i just heard of it a few days ago on the new show CarScience, dont have a reason to try it yet, but itll always be in the back of my mind.

I didn't know there was any other way for years.

My buddy used to sell tires down south in the 60s-early 70s and that how he use to do them all the time lol

We use that alot in MX...makes the bead set tighter..easier to inflate :)

-
Back