INFO PLS... how to remove pin from column shifter?

-

Rob38e

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone shed some light on how to remove the pin from the upper column shifter on a 71 dart. I installed a floor shifter and want to remove the column on the steering wheel. Any help would be appreciated!

Find a pin punch the correct diameter & very gently tap it out.

(No tapered punches, they will just wedge in)

Find a pin punch the correct diameter & very gently tap it out.

(No tapered punches, they will just wedge in)

Is the pin tool supposed to go in through the perimeter or make contact with the thin layer of the perimeter. I hope this makes sense. The pin is not solid and the pin punch can go through the hole.

The pin punch has to be a smaller diameter than the hole the roll pin is in, it also has to be large enough to not go into the center of the roll pin. Pin punches have straight sides so they will not wedge tight in the outer bore.

I went out to the shop & took these photos for you.

pin punch 1.JPG

pin punch 2.JPG

pin punch 3.JPG

pin punch 4.JPG

You may notice the tiny hammer. Tap-tap-tap. Be gentle. I used a 5/32" pin punch.

pin punch 5.JPG

pin punch 6.JPG

pin punch 7.JPG

And........

If your dash frame or pad prevents tapping from above if doing this procedure inside the car, you can tap the pin out from below.

My father was a shop teacher. I have an awesome set of tools. ;-)

Glad to help.

Real pin punches will have a dimple in the center of the tip to keep the punch centered. Just an FYI. A regular punch the right diameter will work fine in this case.

Thank you for all for your insight, I searched the net for hours and could not find anything relevant to mopar pin out. I should have just started here, everyone is always willing to help!

alaskan, you must have a bunch of special tools as it is supposed to have a tool to remove and install that collar. at least the fsm says so. can i borrow it? haha. most dealers have thrown their spec tools away or worse yet, used them for another purpose.

-
Back