Info wanted on engine things...

-

BoredandStroked

Reaction score
Got a few questions for those veterans that have done these things.

Will a 273 crank (forged) fit in a 318 no problem?

Connecting rods on a 73 318, are they full floating type? Read that some are and some arent, anyway to tell besides tearing down the engine?

Magnum heads, are they aluminum or iron? Read that some arent and some are (Haha) and what kind of cars/trucks did the aluminum come on?

Also again, I read that magnum stock exhaust manifolds flow better on the driver side but not on the passenger side, compared to the 340HP. Could you put a magnum exhaust manifold on the driver side and a 340HP on the passenger side?

Just curious to these things. Also some place that sells the Magnum aluminum heads would be great!

BoredandStroked said:
Got a few questions for those veterans that have done these things.

Will a 273 crank (forged) fit in a 318 no problem?

Yes

Connecting rods on a 73 318, are they full floating type? Read that some are and some arent, anyway to tell besides tearing down the engine?

I do believe there floating. The only way to see is is ether take the engine apart or take the oil pan off and look up when a piston is at BDC. Neither is fun if you just want to know and go.

Magnum heads, are they aluminum or iron? Read that some arent and some are (Haha) and what kind of cars/trucks did the aluminum come on?

Stock Magnum heads are iron with the MPP being both. Look for them in trucks. (Iron versions.)

Also again, I read that magnum stock exhaust manifolds flow better on the driver side but not on the passenger side, compared to the 340HP. Could you put a magnum exhaust manifold on the driver side and a 340HP on the passenger side?

Yes, this is suggested in the engines book by MoPar Performance.

Just curious to these things. Also some place that sells the Magnum aluminum heads would be great!

Click the links below.

Go here for box stock heads.
http://www.manciniracing.com/
Go here for the above and ported assemblys.
http://hughesengines.com/

Look for Jeep Cherokee, Dodge Dakotas and Rams with 5.2s or 5.9s for the iron heads.

And the Dakota R/Ts didn't come with Magnum R/T heads, just plane Magnum heads.

Thanks Rob, one question though, if you have the "How to build big-inch mopar small blocks" book (by Jim Szilagyi) flip to page 74, in the last paragraph on that page it says, ' Aluminum Magnum (59 degree blocks): The aluminum Magnum is a HP aluminum version of the Magnum head." Can you tell me what he is talking about?

no disrespect intended to anyone - 73 318 rods will likely not be bushed and be the same as a 360 rod, at least those Ive taken apart are built this way, bushed rods in 318's were supposed to have stopped in 72. These 73 rods will be heavier than those used in a 273 as well (beefier = heavier parts). If you want to use these rods with the 273 crank the crank and or rods will need to be balanced. If you get it apart post the forging number from the rods, thats one sure way to know what they are.

Hope this helps !

66dartgt said:
no disrespect intended to anyone

None taken here at this board. Hey, if your right, your right. I just didn't have my book infront of me. I can't remember everything...er, make that nothing anymore. He he he.

Adam, I'll E-mail you later. Thanks dude!

BoredandStroked;
Aluminum Magnum (59 degree blocks): The aluminum Magnum is a HP aluminum version of the Magnum head." Can you tell me what he is talking about?
MP puts out various different heads that are close to stock save a few small diferences. In the paragraph before, he mentions the "LA" replacement head. It's a Magnum head drilled for standard "LA" intakes.

The head your asking about just seems to be an aluminum version of the regular Magnum head found in the MP performance catolog. With the exception of better flowing ports and upgraded attaching rocker gear.
Also being made of aluminum, you can raise the compression ratio 1 point. If they didn't do it for you with a smaller chamber allready. (The stock chambers are very small to begin with.)

Yes they are small, 60cc, if I remember correctly. Thanks for clearing that up!

66dartgt, I am just reading my books over again and I say that the guy said that 67-73 318 were full floaters and 73-whatever were not. He said the same thing about the cranks. 67-73 318s have forged and 73-whatever are cast. I never have known of a 73 and up 318 to have either of these so I am just curious as usual. By the way I was already going to balance it of course, I dont intend to ever build an engine and not have the proper balancing and clearing done to it.

-
Back