inherited 68 cuda, starting issues

-
I could care less what you think bud. It's all about real world experience and I disagree with yours.

I could care less what you think bud. It's all about real world experience and I disagree with yours.

Sorry, spending 200 bucks on parts to find out the problem wasn't one of the things that got replaced doesn't make sense to me, but... :D

Once you have identified it turns over, spending maybe $100 bucks tops on basic items that deteriorate for a setup that has sat for years and could create harm by not replacing and you will replace anyway once she is running not only makes sense but has worked for me for 45 plus yrs. of fracking with these old girls.
But to each their own and disagree with me as I do you. That is cool. and what the feature is for.
What is not cool is quoting and calling someone out in the public forum that disagrees with ya.

Agree to disagree. So back to the subject at hand. It starts and tries to run but exhaust heats up real quick. I'm going to follow most advice and do oil change, plugs, wires, clean the carb real good and go from there.. she's got her voice back, just doesn't want to scream at the world yet. It's getting there.

Does it have a choke?
Ignition timing?
I realize that to set the timing it would need to run, but you can check the ballpark of the timing by using the marks on the balancer and point the rotor against #1 sparkwire.
Not enough fuel would also make the engine build heat.
Love your fish, looks great.

Cleaning the carb is going to be a waste of time, until you drain all the old gas out and maybe even pull the tank and clean it out thoroughly.

It won't rev up because the accelerator pump diaphragm is toast. When you suddenly crack the throttle, it gets a shot of air but not enough gas, therefore stalling the motor. My '68 did the same thing when I was doing what you are now! Best of luck man, what a beautiful car.

It won't rev up because the accelerator pump diaphragm is toast. When you suddenly crack the throttle, it gets a shot of air but not enough gas, therefore stalling the motor. My '68 did the same thing when I was doing what you are now! Best of luck man, what a beautiful car.

What did you do for a fix?

What did you do for a fix?
I just rebuilt the carburetor. It took me a while to figure out, but holleys are fairly simple to work on. On holley style carbs, the accelerator pump diaphragm sits in a housing underneath the primary fuel bowl (secondary too if it's a double pumper)

I just rebuilt the carburetor. It took me a while to figure out, but holleys are fairly simple to work on. On holley style carbs, the accelerator pump diaphragm sits in a housing underneath the primary fuel bowl (secondary too if it's a double pumper)

Definitely my next project then. Add it to the to do list.

-
Back