Initial Timing for 416 Stroker startup

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey,
What did you set your initial timing at to start and break in the cam on your 408/416 stroker motor. I have edelbrock performer aluminum heads and a Lunati 276/284 valve lift 513/533 Holley 750. Starting for break in I understand needs to be real close to prevent any issues. I think for a stock small block it is 12 degrees before TDC. I am trying to figure what I should set mine at?

If you have to break the cam in just crank it up to where the starter will handle it. Maybe 25*. If you are cranking it and it doesn't fire right away, keep feeding it advance til it fires then set it around ~35* at 2500 ish rpm during break in .

Most important is to get it fired and up to RPM, then worry about timing numbers. You want to get it up on timing FAST so it isn't running retarded = hot exhaust tubes

Have the carb primed too, so you aren't cranking it over waiting on a mechanical pump to feed it. If a DP, fill that side too and press the pump arm to keep it running until a mechanical pump catches up. Electric pump this isn't an issue. Get them filled and set bowl levels.

Good luck.

If you have to break the cam in just crank it up to where the starter will handle it. Maybe 25*. If you are cranking it and it doesn't fire right away, keep feeding it advance til it fires then set it around ~35* at 2500 ish rpm during break in .

Most important is to get it fired and up to RPM, then worry about timing numbers. You want to get it up on timing FAST so it isn't running retarded = hot exhaust tubes

Have the carb primed too, so you aren't cranking it over waiting on a mechanical pump to feed it. If a DP, fill that side too and press the pump arm to keep it running until a mechanical pump catches up. Electric pump this isn't an issue. Get them filled and set bowl levels.

Good luck.

Hey thanks brother. That is good advice and I will surely put it to good use.

Good luck.

Great advice there Rob

Northeastmopar you won't go wrong doing it the way he says

x3

I'll add that you want to make sure there are no reasons to shut it down during the break in either - so fill the cooling system with water in case it burps or overflows.
Also and perhaps most critical - if your cam requires true dual springs (I'm 99% sure yours does)the heads should not have the inner springs installed for the cam break in.

I also like to keep a water hose handy for cooling the radiator or whatever just in case.

If you have to shut it off don't sweat it, just get it back up to RPM when you restart it. A helper is always good in this situation.

Water hose is a must, the rad will get hot and the hose will cool it off. I like pouring some fuel right down the throat of the carb--after the fuel bowls are filled up. Engine should fire in seconds on the first crank. Having a timing light hook up and ready to check the timing. Oh wear some gloves so you can turn the dist to adjust the timing and not get zap. Once pretty close tighten the dist tightly and let it run---I broke my cam in for 40 mins...I think the neighbors hated me that afternoon, lol

I pushed the car out of the garage before starting it and boy did the engine bay smoke the first 5 mins.

Mechanical fuel pump
If you have a few extra bucks buy a cheap 12v universal fuel pump from napa and about 10' of fuel hose, you can un-hook a fuel line and prime the system, hook the mechanical up and you are good to go.

Plus the cheap 12v pump is great for siphoning gas if needed. I used mine alot for the couple of days we were without power after Sandy to fuel my generator.
My duster, old truck, bike and willys ended up with no gas in them but I was the only house on the block with lights.

-
Back