inland shifter and selector rod settup

-

cudaboy 67

Reaction score
hey all! recently fitted 440 into my barracuda<see other posts...>decided to sort my wobbley jelley shifter,ive bushed the actual shifter,loads better but ive compramised gear selection...basically because i cannot "wiggle" them into gear i guess i have to adjust the selector rods ,ive made bushes an redrilled the elongated holes<worn with time>with slightly bigger holes and used appropriate split pins......all seems to help in theory?? anyhow i get reverse 3rd and 4th but no 1st/2nd. i had all the rods off to bush out and to fit a southwest speed clutch slave cylinder.im thinking of removing the rods on the gearbox and shifter,finding the "neutrals"on the rectangular tabs on the gearbox somehow fixing the shifter so all are in "neutral" and refitting the selector rods one at a time adjusting the length using the threaded part as appropriate....any tips when doing this? do you start with one gear in particular? seems a try it and see try it and see scenario,be handy for any help, please excuse my terminology.....i hope you can understand !!! regards, nathan.

There is a slot in the levers where you can insert a tool and that "locks" the shifter in the neutral position. after that you adjust the rods to the appropriate length with the tabs in neutral position.
You insert this tool just below where the bushing for the mechanism is.
The tool should measure 2-3/8" long, 5/8" wide and 1/16" thick according the -67 shop manual.
This was how I did it and I haven`t had any trouble with the shifter.

hi there, many thanks for that, will wait till dawn and daylight again and get back out there! i cannot wait to give it a drive, sounds awesome with big block, thankyou for your help, nathan.:cheers:

Yes.... Put all leavers on the trans in neutral with rods off. Insert the shifter "Key" in the slot on the shifter. Adjust the rod ends so they go easy into the levers on the trans. Pin everything down. Remove the "Key" from the shifter. You are done.

I run the Inland shifter. Its not very good, but looks cool. I also have a Comp Plus set up and it is much better.

cheers for that, did have a quick nose but its dark! guessing its all from underneath,will search my toolbox for a suitable bolt to insert,it has to work better than it used to, can live with it then find suitable replacment shifter so up for suggestion there please! thankyou all again, nathan.

It is a slot on the shifter not a hole. If you have a grinder one would be easy to make. Hell I bet you could make one out of wood if you wanted.

It is a slot on the shifter not a hole. If you have a grinder one would be easy to make. Hell I bet you could make one out of wood if you wanted.
grinder,,,,,welder,,,,,,SWEAR BOX!!! ha, had to fabricate brackets for hydralic clutch conversion and i do all the work on car, welding etc, going to cobble a tool at first light! if anyone have a pic of one..... [email protected]

WHAT?!?!?!
guy was saying "if you have a grinder" was saying yes, and welder, ie i am able to make such a piece to go in slot , oh and swear box..... its a tin with a hole in top, we have them over here, when you swear you put $ in.....handy for when it all goes wrong and @{:LKDDKDF<KDKFDL@?< can be heard! bit of humor.....

Ohhhhhh, gotcha! LOL now! Swear box, I compltely know what that is but drew a blank while I was reading that. Good idea. End of the week around here, that's dinner for the crew.

cool , im zapped,almost midnight here, roll on tomorrow, gotta get this done and on road, taken a year off road to fit 440, still plenty to sort, brakes,suspention..... goes on ....

Made one many, many years ago out of a can/bottle opener. Do they still make that kind? Thin flat metal with can opener on one end and bottle opener on the other end. The hardest part was to decide what end I wanted to save. Cut the bottle end off and have no beer or, cut the can end off and not be able to open 710 cans. CRAP!! That means I'm old. Paper can with metal top. LOL

QUALITY!!! brilliant, 1234.... reverse needs a minor tweek, never felt as good as it does now, very pleased,get mot next week! few more jobs to do........:cheers:

going to be rather tail happy methinks! no idea what horsepower:read2: holley 750 carb, shumacker headers, aftermarket inlet and purple cam ......more than the 230 hp my 318 made! its an 18 spline box too, told rarer than 23?

-
Back