Inner fender patch?

-

Angryman

Reaction score
I pulled my fender so I could start installing my shock tower braces and found a little rust. Do they make a patch panel for this area or do I need to replace the whole thing? If there is no patch panel can I get away with just hitting it with some rust converter and call it good? Not building a show car just a driver.

Tried putting in a picture with my phone but keep getting an error code. Will put 1 in when I get on my computer

Depending on the extent of the rust you might cut out the bad stuff and weld in new metal without getting a specific patch for that car, or if you knew what you needed somebody here might cut what you need off a parts car...

If its a small area just patch it. If its rusted in several places its probably easier to replace the whole inner fender. Lucky for you the inner fender is one of the easiest panels to replace on a mopar.
Options for patches are to make your own, get a piece cut from a parts car or buy the whole inner fender and just use what you need from it.

Finally got to my computer. Not the best photo I know.

269303341_5707435635938935_1712210707959147440_n.jpg

That is the cowl to fender support piece. Replace it It is a major support for the front clip . Make sure the car is on stands and supported in front and rear of frame rail to keep the front from drooping.

You May find rust going into the inside of the car behind the brace. Take it off and see what you find.

When welding in this area take the vent box off on drivers side or heater on passenger side and remove all insulation or you can burn your car up.

I have those pieces like new they are not cheap.$60 each.

DSCN1279.jpg

DSCN1290.jpg

Do you see the hole in the front of that piece ? It is the alignment hole to mount the fender well. It is the hole I use to replace front clips. Try and save that hole or a measurement to keep track of the fender well or brace placement. Also if removing take a measurement from the tab on the cowl to the hole.

Hey, @Oldmanmopar, I am impressed you could tell what he was talking about from that close up. It was so close in, I could not tell what exact area it was. I figured it out with the picture you posted.

Sorry for the bad photo's. I am not much of a photographer. The only other pic I took of the area was worse as far as seeing the rusty area.

269592803_5709743285708170_7170842386624908207_n.jpg

That is the cowl to fender support piece. Replace it It is a major support for the front clip . Make sure the car is on stands and supported in front and rear of frame rail to keep the front from drooping.

You May find rust going into the inside of the car behind the brace. Take it off and see what you find.

When welding in this area take the vent box off on drivers side or heater on passenger side and remove all insulation or you can burn your car up.

Oldmanmopar, thanks for responding. I have never done any type of bodywork before so I am kind of a fish out of water. With my car up on blocks like this is this enough support?

132463465_4419983971350781_2136899916999527947_o.jpg

If you take a measurement from the front of radiator support to the tab on the cowl that holds the fender and keep that the same you would be ok. You can put a jack at the rear of the front frame rail to hold the car or jack it if needed. Do One at a time and you should be alright.

Sorry for the bad photo's. I am not much of a photographer. The only other pic I took of the area was worse as far as seeing the rusty area.

View attachment 1715855905
Not knocking the photo skills at all. I totally understand the closeup idea. I just could not wrap my head around the area. I like the Blocks. With the cost of lumber, you might have been able to buy a rotisserie. LOL They look plenty strong, and your car looks like it is at a good working height. If you can weld and carefully take your time, you can do this. If you ever get stuck, Take pictures and post a help request. There are lots of people on the forum who can help. Maybe not as well as @Oldmanmopar, but then he is a rock star. How is the rest of the car; floors, quarters, etc?

Not knocking the photo skills at all. I totally understand the closeup idea. I just could not wrap my head around the area. I like the Blocks. With the cost of lumber, you might have been able to buy a rotisserie. LOL They look plenty strong, and your car looks like it is at a good working height. If you can weld and carefully take your time, you can do this. If you ever get stuck, Take pictures and post a help request. There are lots of people on the forum who can help. Maybe not as well as @Oldmanmopar, but then he is a rock star. How is the rest of the car; floors, quarters, etc?
Lol, I built those stands last year from lumber I had laying around so I didn't pay outrageous money. I got the idea for them off of here. Can't remember who so can't give the proper credit. I can weld a little. I put pass floorpan in last year and need to do drives side soon. Wasn't to worried about how those looked as they will be covered up. Otherwise the car is fairly solid. Some rot in the lower rear quarters.

Lol, I built those stands last year from lumber I had laying around so I didn't pay outrageous money. I got the idea for them off of here. Can't remember who so can't give the proper credit. I can weld a little. I put pass floorpan in last year and need to do drives side soon. Wasn't to worried about how those looked as they will be covered up. Otherwise the car is fairly solid. Some rot in the lower rear quarters.
Yes I built that wooden cribbing also it's very strong and works well. Just don't burn it down when you're welding, lol.
20200613_165350.jpg

My dad had his car on blocks like that. No caulking front or rear. The car fell on him and killed him. I tried reviving him with no luck. Worse day of my life.

Here is what I am sending. I will get tracking so you know when they will be there. I am leaving them bare metal so you don't have to clean them to weld them on. You can see where they were spot welded. Self etch primer them and drill your holes and plug weld them on. Steve

100_0083.JPG

100_0084.JPG

Last edited:
After your purchase and looking at your car I was wondering if you are interested in new Quarter panels. I have two left and right. Asking price is $175 each obo for both plus shipping I will ship them separately to avoid damage.
s-l1600.jpg

What make are these panels?
I don't know who made them they came with a package of parts. There may be a tag on them I am not sure. I have full quarters for a 71 from AMD that extend to the roof. That is the reason I don't need these. These are for 72 -73 been laying here for a while I was going use them for patches. but I figure I would offer them to him because he or she bought the fender well braces and paid up for them. I am willing to cut them up for him for front and rear to save shipping and I can use the centers for a race car when stretching the opening

I don't know who made them they came with a package of parts. There may be a tag on them I am not sure. I have full quarters for a 71 from AMD that extend to the roof. That is the reason I don't need these. These are for 72 -73 been laying here for a while I was going use them for patches. but I figure I would offer them to him because he or she bought the fender well braces and paid up for them. I am willing to cut them up for him for front and rear to save shipping and I can use the centers for a race car when stretching the opening

Oldmanmopar, I (a he by the way) appreciate the offer more then you know. Unfortunately I got hurt at work a week or so ago and will be out for awhile. Until I go back my spending on the car has come to a crashing halt. Whenever I go back I will get in touch with you to see if you still have them.

Oldmanmopar, I (a he by the way) appreciate the offer more then you know. Unfortunately I got hurt at work a week or so ago and will be out for awhile. Until I go back my spending on the car has come to a crashing halt. Whenever I go back I will get in touch with you to see if you still have them.
If you are interested I'll hold them for you. They are not eating anything here the last I looked. Any other parts you need just let me know. If I have several of something I don't need I will send it for shipping only. I know what its like to be laid up. If I can help I will. This would be the thanks for the purchase you made. Steve

-
Back