Inner Fender Question

-

MidTexCuda

Ancient Member
Reaction score
What is the pros vs. cons on leaving the inner fender intact?
What is the weight savings vs. aerodynamics?
Car 140+ MPH Drag only, 12 cage.
Big question: Is there any benefit to closing off the under side of the engine bay? (i.e. high speed road car)

I know alot of guys that i race with who have hacked out inner fenders on various cars and lost a tenth + from losing aerodynamic flow, i guess the fact that you run a 12 point would probably eliminate any twist from taking some structural support out of the unibody car, (I only run an 8 pt). but i'd probably leave them in there to direct airflow back under the car.

Ther's several reasons to keep 'em. Even if your car is caged & has snout bars, they're a structural memeber so keeping 'em is just helping to minimize chassis flex. At 140MPH your car needs help as those old ars weren't meant to go that fast. Cutting the inner fender panels allows air into the engine bay, fine for cooloing but the air is also running up against that vertical firewall & all the other componente in the engine bay which will cause turbulence which naturally will effect, however slightly, top-end speed.

Interesting stuff. I just purchased a drag a body with the wells cut out. Before I did I posted here asking the cons but didnt get much response. I figured the structural losses but never considered the aero factors. They do repop them maybe worth re-installing?

Interesting stuff. I just purchased a drag a body with the wells cut out. Before I did I posted here asking the cons but didnt get much response. I figured the structural losses but never considered the aero factors. They do repop them maybe worth re-installing?

I would. At least make some aluminum ones.........

Inner fenders are around 20lb for both sides. Then you need to run snout bars and are going to put some if not most of that weight back in. Cant say any thing about the aerodynamics of having them vs not though.

A big-block/Hemi A-body is nose heavy to begin with. Now assuming that's what the OP is planning on, it stands to reasonhe needs all the strength there he can get. If he's running a small-block stout enough to turn 140mph he still has the aero concerns so either way he'd be best off putting them back in-------------just my .02

-
Back