Inner fender well question

-

hemitt

Reaction score
Hi everyone im new on here and have a quick question. I have a 72 plymouth duster that i race. Im wondering about the inner fender wells ive seen them cut out and have a support bar ran from frame to fire wall and that is what i wanna do with mine just wondering if anyone knows where i could buy these havent had any luck on finding them thanks

The only real reason to take out the inner fenders is if you are going to be running fenderwell headers. If you are running a small block I would not run fenderwells as there is plenty of room to go under the chassis.

Now if your running a big block and it is a drag only or mostly drag and very little street then I would do the fenderwells.

That bar is to restrangthen the ront part of the frame as when you cut out the fenders there is no more suport there. Them bars is also a good place to mount a motor plate if you are runing one. They should also be welded to the shock tower to give suport to the front suspention as well.

I think most people make them them selves. You will need to find some one with a tubing bender.

The best way to do it is to run it through the firewall then weld it to the roll bar down tubes inside the car. If you don't have a roll bar you can weld it to the fire wall but I would recomend you weld a peice of plate on to the fire wall first then weld the tube to that. But I would rather see it go through the fire wall and to the roll bar.

Here are some pics.

100_1702.jpg

100_1721.jpg

100_1722.jpg

100_1723.jpg

100_1724.jpg

100_1725.jpg

100_1726.jpg

yes thats what i want and i have a 360 in it now but will move up to a 440 soon and i really didnt want to put a full roll cage in just like a 6 or 8 point but i guess i might havta go bigger... but i found on jegs a 12 point cage now i might be wrong but it appears to b that the bar comes in that kit correct me if im wrong..

Make your own if you have a chassis shop in the area.

Take some PCV tube, heat it and bend it how you need, then take it to a shop and buy the tube from them or get it from a metal supply shop.

Local places here charge about $5 per bend.

$200 for what is sold in that kit, probably XV products, is kind of steep to me.

A 12 point kit should have snout bars.

ya $200 is alittle high to me also just for 2 bars with one bend when i could buy a roll cage almost for that price but either way i have to buy one or the other unless i do what crackedback said but seems more of a trouble for me anyways....ugh choices

The car burntorange70 posted appears to be a full tube chassis setup, or at the very least tube chassis from the firewall forward with what may be a stamped K-member. The A-body inner fenders are structural, pretty much the equivalent of frame rails, so it pays to do this right.

-
Back