Inner fenders welded or bolted in?

-

MADMarc

Just a d00d
Reaction score
Just as the title states, I'm wondering if the inner fender is welded, bolted or a combination of the two. I have my eyes on a 70 swinger that had the inner fenders pulled, found replacement fenders online with a quick search (so I know they can be found) and am wondering if they need to be welded in or if I can get away w/good ol' nuts and bolts.

Thanks in advance!

got it, thanks. So if/when I go to check this car out, what are some common reinforcements people make to keep it structurally sound? Guess I'll have to keep an extra close eye out for sagging.

this is what they look like with out the front core support or inner fenders, Lawrence

Attachments

• roofline 004 (Large).jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 266
The inner fenders are the easiest place to screw up a restore job. If the new inner fender is set too low you would need stacks of shims under the fender top to get the body lines right. If it is set too high you can only cut your spot welds and start over.
Best way I've seen is several pieces of small angle ( 1/8 X 1 steel ) used to create a locating frame around the inner fenders and core support before they were removed.

Thank you for the input, guys. Getting excited... Hope this car isn't gone before I get to it

I hope you get it for a good price because it'll be a bear setting and welding the inner fenders and getting them right.

When doing so, I would jack-stand the body to a fixed level position. You don't want to start welding structural members while the body/stub frames might be torqued.

-
Back