Inner fenders

-

dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
Do yall paint the inner fenders and frame rail and suspension support the body color or black?? Pics please if you got any! Thanks I was thinking about doing it the body color because all my suspension parts are black I thought it would give it a nice look but it kinda seems like a waste of paint and clearcoat considering its gonna be covered in dirt and grime in no time once I start driving it.

Do yall paint the inner fenders and frame rail and suspension support the body color or black?? Pics please if you got any! Thanks I was thinking about doing it the body color because all my suspension parts are black I thought it would give it a nice look but it kinda seems like a waste of paint and clearcoat considering its gonna be covered in dirt and grime in no time once I start driving it.
Mopar engine compartments are body color as well as the outside inner fenders. Black is fine for K member and suspension. Purists
would know what suspension components are painted or bare.

Mopar engine compartments are body color as well as the outside inner fenders. Black is fine for K member and suspension. Purists
Yea I knew the engine bay was supposed to be just wasnt sure about the out side. I guess I will do it right while I'm doing it!

Thanks for this thread. Do the bumper brackets get painted black or body colour? What about undercoating the inner fender, was this done at the factory?

They start body color then after the factory/dealer undercoating they end up mostly flat black anyway. If your car is a light color and it's a driver, they can get nasty looking.

They start body color then after the factory/dealer undercoating they end up mostly flat black anyway. If your car is a light color and it's a driver, they can get nasty looking.
My inner fenders still have the undercoating on them. I do not want to want to strip it off. I wonder if primer will stick to the undercoating without chipping and peeling off?

I just replicated the factory undercoat. I think a bright color would stick out behind the tires and wheels.
20190318_211200.jpg

My inner fenders still have the undercoating on them. I do not want to want to strip it off. I wonder if primer will stick to the undercoating without chipping and peeling off?
Yeah I didn't want to find out either so that's why I just did a combo move touching up the undercoating and flat black. I figured if it flakes off, I can just hit it with more flat black. LOL

I just replicated the factory undercoat. I think a bright color would stick out behind the tires and wheels.
View attachment 1715377471
Yea I may just go that route too! I'm painting the understand and all the frame rails back to the rear bumper with rustoleum black for protection and to make it look a little better. I may save my money on expensive paint and spray the inner fenders with rustoleum too.

Yea I may just go that route too! I'm painting the understand and all the frame rails back to the rear bumper with rustoleum black for protection and to make it look a little better. I may save my money on expensive paint and spray the inner fenders with rustoleum too.
Well you know I'm not a nut and bolt restoration kind of guy. LOL but I can certainly appreciate the cars that get that treatment. Technically, if I remember correctly the factory sprayed the bottom of the lower radiator support black to hide it behind the grill. I could be wrong, haha.

Well you know I'm not a nut and bolt restoration kind of guy. LOL but I can certainly appreciate the cars that get that treatment. Technically, if I remember correctly the factory sprayed the bottom of the lower radiator support black to hide it behind the grill. I could be wrong, haha.
Yea me either but I do want it to look as original as possible! I don't want any huge indicators sticking out saying hey this car isnt original. I want it to look as it would have at the car lot (within reason) I can't afford a rotisserie restoration.
Yes you are correct about the black behind the grille. It was in most cases a light coat with lots of overspray!

Body color, its a lot of work, but makes the car look more finished.
opBPFj.jpg

Nope, not a chance.
To remove the undercoating, heat with a propane torch and scrape it off.

fenderwells inside and out ; body color . K-frame , bumper brackets , trans mount , springs , rear axle : black . inside trunk : body color

fenderwells inside and out ; body color . K-frame , bumper brackets , trans mount , springs , rear axle : black . inside trunk : body color

Paint it whatever color makes u happy , pee on everyone else , it aint their car !!
Mine happens to be body color , I wouldn`t care if it was black .

Paint it whatever color makes u happy , pee on everyone else , it aint their car !!
Mine happens to be body color , I wouldn`t care if it was black .
I just want it to look nice and I dont want to look back and regret something I didnt do. But at the same time I have to draw the line somewhere because this is not a nut and bolt rotisserie restoration and I keep finding myself going overboard on certain stuff. I need to just buckle down and spray the damn thing! Haha

-
Back