Inner valve springs

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Boy oh boy there's no entertainment in installing them while on engine....
Any tips/tricks? Sedatives?
Here's valve spring compressors...
#1 ex done, only took an hour :lol: :BangHead:

20240522_200420.jpg

Last edited:
Head gaskets not reusable. Sorry. The red handled tool is what I use for heads on valve spring swap. Works good.

With a home made tool that bolts to the rocker shaft stands… and air to hold up the valve…a magnet to remove the locks…and some sucker to hand you parts as you go

Im using rope.... low expansion foam?
Do You have a leakdown tester or compression tester w/a detachable hose that has a std. Milton or I/M quick disconnect? If so, take the light-springed schrader valve out, screw it in & plug the air hose on.It wont matter w/the rocker shafts off, if You put 100psi in there, there's 300+ pounds of force holding the intake closed..200# on the exhaust, piston up down, it won't matter. If You hook the stem hard enough to unseat one, You'll be dressing it for a good gouge/nick, that's for sure. Carefully stuff some paper towels to block keepers from escaping into the valley, then You can concentrate on the task, yeah it's not too late to get/build a better means of compressing the retainers...but it's frustrating to be there then stop to do so.....oh, a steady-handed helper is a plus for sure.

For heads on valve spring removal, I bought this tool. I have used it several times now and it works great. It you can make one at home, this is a good design.

IMG_6166.JPG

IMG_6167.JPG

IMG_6198.JPG

Last edited:
I saw the LSM when researching last night....$400 lol, no thanks. If I was a pro sure, but I'm on the other end of the spectrum.
For heads on valve spring removal, I bought this tool. I have used it several times now and it works great. It you can make one at home, this is a good design.

View attachment 1716253332

View attachment 1716253333

View attachment 1716253337
Thanks, great idea, I have one and removed gauge, looks like it might work, but why remove Schrader valve? If I remove it all the air will come out(like a tire)??
Do You have a leakdown tester or compression tester w/a detachable hose that has a std. Milton or I/M quick disconnect? If so, take the light-springed schrader valve out, screw it in & plug the air hose on.It wont matter w/the rocker shafts off, if You put 100psi in there, there's 300+ pounds of force holding the intake closed..200# on the exhaust, piston up down, it won't matter. If You hook the stem hard enough to unseat one, You'll be dressing it for a good gouge/nick, that's for sure. Carefully stuff some paper towels to block keepers from escaping into the valley, then You can concentrate on the task, yeah it's not too late to get/build a better means of compressing the retainers...but it's frustrating to be there then stop to do so.....oh, a steady-handed helper is a plus for sure.

I saw the LSM when researching last night....$400 lol, no thanks. If I was a pro sure, but I'm on the other end of the spectrum.

Thanks, great idea, I have one and removed gauge, looks like it might work, but why remove Schrader valve? If I remove it all the air will come out(like a tire)??
The schrader traps air in the hose/gauge, that means it only lets pressure out of the cyl., not in...just leave the air hose plugged on until that cylinder's finished & move to next.

Thanks, had me confused for a bit, but discovered there are 2 Schrader valves in the compression tester.
Gotta try and find someone local with an old hyd rocker I can weld to bar for compressor.
These 2 finger fresh aren't cutting it, not when there are 2 spring and a damper I'm dealing with.
Thanks!:thumbsup:
The schrader traps air in the hose/gauge, that means it only lets pressure out of the cyl., not in...just leave the air hose plugged on until that cylinder's finished & move to next.

So been working on a remedy all day, dropped by Thompson Automotive in Peterborough, great father and son Mopar team that races. Challenger with Offy crossram! :thumbsup: . I called and asked if I could buy an old hyd rocker, he said to come look at his compressor and he'll dig out a rocker.
Great guys, gave it to me, I offered them $$, coffee, they said nope, just Coke...not sure what an 8ball is anymore but they were pricey in the 90's...:rolleyes:
Anyway got the idea from @KnuckleDuster so thanks for posting his creation!:thumbsup:
Then my welder **** the bed lol. This is as far as I got.
Here's link to @KnuckleDuster thread
My Valve Spring Compressor - Heads On/In Car
@ValiantRacing that's the style I want, but on a time crunch and budget so gonna try and make it. If I can't weld it tonight I'll do it at work tomorrow.
I would LOVE to see a video of these 2 fingered contraptions working on double springs. I'll call bs. Maybe singles, not doubles.
Thanks all.

20240523_173336.jpg

20240523_173326.jpg

20240523_140021.jpg

20240523_140029.jpg

20240523_135752.jpg

20240523_135744.jpg

Success! #1 intake done. #1 ex and int in ONLY 24 hours.
Thanks again @KnuckleDuster for the idea. Used a spark plug socket with the hex end for wrenches Double wrenched it and ez-pz.
I already had rope installed so left it while I did intake.
Next I'll do the air trick, thanks to @Killer6 I'll use the compression tester with some extra hardware I bought at hardware store.
Thanks folks! :thumbsup:

20240523_200933.jpg

20240523_200938.jpg

Well if I NEVER have to do dbl springs again it'll be too soon lol. Especially with heads installed. If I do ever do them off the engine, I'll mod the big C clamp that someone posted.

Well if I NEVER have to do dbl springs again it'll be too soon lol. Especially with heads installed. If I do ever do them off the engine, I'll mod the big C clamp that someone posted.
Glad You got that accomplished, now on to enjoying Yourself!!

Success! #1 intake done. #1 ex and int in ONLY 24 hours.
Thanks again @KnuckleDuster for the idea. Used a spark plug socket with the hex end for wrenches Double wrenched it and ez-pz.
I already had rope installed so left it while I did intake.
Next I'll do the air trick, thanks to @Killer6 I'll use the compression tester with some extra hardware I bought at hardware store.
Thanks folks! :thumbsup:

View attachment 1716253671

View attachment 1716253672
Glad to help! Mine is ugly, but it is one of my most prized tools!

-
Back