Input Bearing Retainer Question

-

Ehbody

Reaction score
The 833 tranny that I got with my 70 Duster(bought the car unassembled) is a close ratio, but has a 5 1/8" retainer. Someone must have changed out the 4 3/8" one for it...maybe they were using an 833OD bellhousing and switched to the bigger retainer so the tranny would fit. I think that the retainers have the same bolt pattern(my tranny's retainer bolt pattern is 3 5/8") and are interchangable...am I correct? If so, anyone have a 4 3/8" retainer to sell? (the car didn't come with a bellhousing,so I bought the 4 3/8" "year correct" sized housing). Once I'm sure what I need,I'll post in the "wanted" thread. Thanks, Dan

The bolt holes should not line up between a 307 4.8 and a 5.12 bearing retainer. So you shouldn't be able to mate a 4.8 retainer to the overdrive front case that you currently have. Are you sure that the transmission you have is a close ratio? It doesn't sound like it.

For what it is worth my cast iron 4 speed has the big retainer and the inside has the mid 60s 6 cylinder gears (super low 1st gear) I bought it with the bellhousing so everything worked ok.

I have found Brewers Performance to be an excellent resource for information. And I have had 2 great buying experiences with them, with quick shipping to Canada. I would suggest talking to them.

For what it is worth my cast iron 4 speed has the big retainer and the inside has the mid 60s 6 cylinder gears (super low 1st gear) I bought it with the bellhousing so everything worked ok.
All large retainer OD transmissions have the 3.09 1st gear. Not all ODs were aluminum...most early ones were cast iron.

That may be true, but mine also has 1.92 (2nd) &1.4 (3rd). It's a 4 speed not a 3 & over. Don't assume anything when it comes to used parts.

The size of the front bearing is what dictates the bearing retainer size, not the gearset. Transmission cases with the 308 front bearing can be fitted with the 4.8 or 5.125 retainers. The main reason for using the largest diameter retainer is to stabilize the OD gearset.

All large retainer OD transmissions have the 3.09 1st gear. Not all ODs were aluminum...most early ones were cast iron.

I'm no expert on 833's but I just found out yesterday that mine is an OD trans, cast iron case and year of mfg 1976. It has the large bearing retainer housing as well. There are 2 different bolt circles and the small housing can be had in both bolt patterns from Passon Performance. Sorry, I don't know how to add a link (what a rookie) but google it, they have US and Canadian distributors. Talked to Jamie Passon and he said it is possible to machine the large one down if you find a machine shop that knows what they're doing. Kev

That may be true, but mine also has 1.92 (2nd) &1.4 (3rd). It's a 4 speed not a 3 & over. Don't assume anything when it comes to used parts.
I don't assume anything. Not many people on this board can recognize a gearset swap when the get one. I've done plenty of them myself, but I lose all the OD transmissions I get. I take the fasteners, the bearings, shaft, side cover parts, and donate the rest.

The 833 tranny that I got with my 70 Duster(bought the car unassembled) is a close ratio, but has a 5 1/8" retainer. Someone must have changed out the 4 3/8" one for it...maybe they were using an 833OD bellhousing and switched to the bigger retainer so the tranny would fit. I think that the retainers have the same bolt pattern(my tranny's retainer bolt pattern is 3 5/8") and are interchangable...am I correct? If so, anyone have a 4 3/8" retainer to sell? (the car didn't come with a bellhousing,so I bought the 4 3/8" "year correct" sized housing). Once I'm sure what I need,I'll post in the "wanted" thread. Thanks, Dan
Sorry, I re-read your post, and i misunderstood what you were trying to say completely.... duh.

Well, I talked to Jamie at Passon.... I have a 1972 tranny with close ratio gears(I took the cover off and counted the teeth on the gears). It has a 5 1/8" retainer with the small bolt hole pattern(Jamie said he doesn't sell too many of that style retainer),so I just need a 4 1/4" retainer and I'm good to go or I can get a bellhousing with 5 1/8" opening. That way,I can switch to an o/d tranny and not have to change to a smaller hole bellhousing...Thanks for the info...Dan

-
Back