Input shaft corrosion

-

360DartGT66

Not a 360 anymore
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey gurus,
I’m putting an OD A833 together with new bearings and all that (kit from Brewer’s). The only snag is that the input shaft is a little corroded.
I’m worried it’ll wear the pilot bushing when in neutral and with the clutch engaged.
What do you guys think I need to do about it? Would it be ok to just turn it down to a smooth finish or do I need to spray it and turn to size?
It measures ok at 3/4”, just a hair over in a few spots (with my Chinese calipers).
I hope the pic is clear enough to determine the grade of corrosion. I can post more pics if requested.

15731538-9F84-4CFC-947F-8933E1B3836A.jpeg

Hey gurus,
I’m putting an OD A833 together with new bearings and all that (kit from Brewer’s). The only snag is that the input shaft is a little corroded.
I’m worried it’ll wear the pilot bushing when in neutral and with the clutch engaged.
What do you guys think I need to do about it? Would it be ok to just turn it down to a smooth finish or do I need to spray it and turn to size?
It measures ok at 3/4”, just a hair over in a few spots (with my Chinese calipers).
I hope the pic is clear enough to determine the grade of corrosion. I can post more pics if requested.

View attachment 1715730386
It really doesn't look that bad. Clean it up good, polish it up and check the size. Stock pilot measures 0.747". A little light pitting is not going to hurt anything. The pilot only spins in the bushing when the clutch is dis-engaged.

It really doesn't look that bad. Clean it up good, polish it up and check the size. Stock pilot measures 0.747". A little light pitting is not going to hurt anything. The pilot only spins in the bushing when the clutch is dis-engaged.
Hey Dan, do you recommend any specific kind of grease in the bushing? Thanks for helping us out here on the site.

If it really bothers you that much, use the bearing instead of a bushing. The input shaft will just rest in the inner race and not be spinning like in a bushing.
TM_FC69907_Ang__ra_p.jpg

Oh, it's the actual Brewer!

I think I'll take your advice as gospel, polish it off and use moly lube.

Many thanks!

Oh, and the kit is flawless, of course. :thumbsup:

Oh, it's the actual Brewer!

I think I'll take your advice as gospel, polish it off and use moly lube.

Many thanks!

Oh, and the kit is flawless, of course. :thumbsup:

Now that I think about it for the fourth time, of course it only spins when the clutch is disengaged. My bad. Makes it even less of an issue, of course.

-
Back