Inserting Axle Into Housing

-

340 RR

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have fully rebuilt my 8 3/4 clutch type sure grip thanks to the help of all of you guys. I am now in the process of putting my axle back into the housing. The passenger side axle slid all the way in perfectly. The driver side got very close to sitting flush on the backing plate but it's not quite there (refer to attached pictures). I don't want to put the nuts on and try to drive it in with a wrench. The seal seems to be installed all the way in as well. Any thoughts on what may be causing this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

IMG_9787.JPG

IMG_9786.JPG

Even after taking the passenger side axle completely out, the driver side won't go in anymore than what was shown in the pictures.

Before you bolted the case halves together did you insert axles into the sides of the sure grip to line up both of the side gears?

I did not do that. Are you saying that while the sure grip is not bolted to the housing, to insert both axles? Does the sure grip have to completely come back out of the housing?

The passenger should have the axle adjuster if you are not using Green bearings. If no Green bearings, put the driver side axle in first and torque the 5 nuts down. Then install the pass side axle-back the adjuster out if you haven't and then adjust.

Its the pin between the axles that is used to equalize the tapered bearings. When you install green bearings that must be removed . It is not needed. You should be able to look through the clutch style suregrip. With the cone style sure grip you need to disassemble the sure grip assembly

#0 get a factory service manual.

#1. Tell us what parts you have. Open diff or what type of sure grip? What type of axle bearing?

#2. Back the adjuster off the passenger side.

#3. Try spinning the yoke on the axle while someone applies gentle pressure the to drivers side axle.

I gave the axle a couple light taps with a rubber mallet and it seated. Bolted everything back up and the car is back on the ground. I was also able to adjust axle end play to right around 13 thou. Thanks everyone!

I was going to say, the stamped collar can catch the 5 studs enough to stop it from going in. I have 3 cars with green bearings and did not remove anything from the rear end differential. But you are done, did you regrease your taped bearings?

Yes I put a bunch of grease on them. Should be good to go, thanks.

-
Back