inside hood release - help from member with a functioning example

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to install a later year A-body inside hood release on my 1970 Dart. I think I have all the parts - cable with inside handle, mounting bracket for the inside handle, latch, long bracket for under hood, cable clamp. What I don't have is an example to use for assembly! I don't know where the brackets are mounted, where the firewall hole is supposed to be, and how the cable should be routed. Can somebody with a functioning example (preferably as the factory installed them) please take some pictures of: where and how the cable/ handle bracket is installed, where the hole in the firewall is, how the cable is routed and how and where the bracket and clamp are installed (presumably in front of the radiator support). thanks in advance.

interested!

Post mages of these:latch, long bracket for under hood, cable clamp

I want to add too and need to know what to look for

Here's what I've got:

DSC04863.JPG

DSC04866.JPG

DSC04867.JPG

DSC04868.JPG

DSC04869.JPG

DSC04871.JPG

DSC04872.JPG

DSC04873.JPG

Thanks for posting! What are the parts out of? I have tried making a list of what to search for but can't ever find anything definitive to search for like part numbers, etc....

I have one on a 74 Dart. I can get photos and such but it will be Sunday before I can get to it.

Yeah, gonna have to be tomorrow here too. It decided to rain and storm today.

Here is mine, it's on a 74 4-door Dart. The handle is under the dash, close to the door jamb. It screws to the bottom of the dash from underneath.

DSCN1778.JPG

DSCN1779.JPG

The cable goes through the firewall high on the driver side, up by the cowl. Exit shown in the red circle. The cable snakes behind the washer bottle and underneath. Green line.

DSCN1780 (2).jpg

The cable goes behind the battery, through the radiator support, and under the latch area on the hood. More green line.

DSCN1783 (2).jpg

DSCN1784 (2).jpg

Here's a close up of the latch.

DSCN1781.JPG

May the force be with you!

Thanks for posting! What are the parts out of? I have tried making a list of what to search for but can't ever find anything definitive to search for like part numbers, etc....

I posted a want ad here and the guy said he had an A-body with everything still in place, so I paid him and this is what showed up. That was about 2 years ago. I should have asked him to take pictures before disassembly :BangHead:

Here’s a shot from the underside of the latch showing cable routing.
4BA77C1C-8FA3-4BF6-A1DD-AE14F1A6421B.jpeg

WOW no wonder I can't figure this out - on a 1970 the latch itself is installed 180 degrees from these cars. As in the back of the latch is toward the front of the car and the bolts go in from the engine side to the bumper side. I couldn't figure it out because the inside release latch pulls from the opposite side compared to the 70 outside release. Time to engineer a fix!!!

-
Back