inside mounted wiper motor?

-

Slappy

Reaction score
Has anyone ever mounted the wiper motor under the dash? I bought a Mallory distributor and it hits the wiper motor on my 72 Demon.

Wouldn't it be easier to swap out the 2 speed motor with a 3 speed wiper motor ?

highly unlikely that an OEM wiper motor will work mounted anywhere but where it belongs - it kinda sounds like something else is wrong - my question would be: has anyone else ever had the wiper motor interfere with a Mallory distributor. Slappy, can you post a pic of this?

Yes I've gone and used a 2001 Dodge Neon wiper motor inside. It's involves a new bracket, and modifying the arms but it can be done.

Riddler

some pics

Attachments

• IMG_3601.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_3602.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_3603.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_3604.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_3605.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 246
that my friend is f%^ked up... I would call Mallory first and see if their tech dept has any insight..

I think you should move your motor mounts to the rear of the tabs that they bolt to.
that may help check to see if yours can be moved. it's worth a try

Sure it can be done. Lots of people have done it on the 63 Darts and Valiants because the wiper motor hump in the firewall causes the wiper motor to interfere with the small block distributor.

There was a member on here that even cut and shortened his distributor and left the wiper motor in place. More than one way to do it.

you know - this obviously isn't the first time this has happened per Rusty's reply so someone has to have figured it out. I would also say that ragtop may be onto something - seems this is a new install? (the engine) - is it possible that it isn't set right in the engine bay? It is a close fit to the fire wall anyway and it's hard to tell in the pics but it does look really close - maybe test fit some other components and see what happens.. ?? Do you have the trans in? Does it line up with the mount?

well engine is in right. Trans is located right. I like the idea of shortening it but then I wouldn't reach oil pump drive. I bought distributor a few years ago so its non refundable. hopefully I can figure something out

I think you should move your motor mounts to the rear of the tabs that they bolt to.
that may help check to see if yours can be moved. it's worth a try

stock is mounted to the rear of the tabs on the block. check with mallory about the availability of a smaller cap, some distribs can use small or big. shortening it would be the top area, the lower end would still plug in the oil pump drive

well engine is in right. Trans is located right. I like the idea of shortening it but then I wouldn't reach oil pump drive. I bought distributor a few years ago so its non refundable. hopefully I can figure something out

No, he shortened it between the block and the bottom of the distributor body where the cap fits. That had no effect on the length regarding the oil pump drive.

-
Back