Install of aftermarket fuel guage question

-

RDJ

Reaction score
67 Barracuda, rallye gauges.

My oil pressure and water temp gauges work. My fuel gauge doesn't. I have one of those RTE/Dash Worx solid state voltage limiters wired onto the back of the gauge panel. I have a new sender unit installed into the new gas tank, and have a clean ground strap on the fuel line at the gas tank.

My question: If I cut the fuel gauge sender wire and use an aftermarket fuel gauge, will my oil and water temp gauge still work? If not, is it possible to just "Y" off of the sender wire for the aftermarket gauge without making some sort of short?

BTW, I have mechanical water temp and oil pressure gauges installed and they work fine, but I would still like the gauges that work to keep working.

Below are the color codes of the wiring at the dash harness plug. It's for '70 but most likely the same. If you cut or remove the Dark Blue wire from the plug then you can connect it directly to an aftermarket fuel gauge (S terminal). I wouldn't tap off the existing gauge. All should be well assuming you've matched the aftermarket gauge to your sender. Course, you'll have to send 12v to the new gauge too. You can tap into the orange wire for lighting.

Dark Blue w/tracer = Ign-on, +12v
Dark Blue = Fuel sender
Violet = Temp Sender
Orange = Instrument Lights
Red = High Beam Indicator
Light Green = Left Turn Indicator
Tan = Right Turn Indicator
Black = Brake light (ground)
Gray = Oil Light (ground) or to sender

If you would you rather have the stock fuel gauge fixed or replaced , pm me

-
Back