Install Z bar HELP...........

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
Here is what I have 1968 Dodge Dart 383 4 speed tti 1 7/8 headders.
My question ..What is the easiest way to put in my Z bar? The engine and trans are already in the car.Looks like the Z bar is going to be a pain.Any tips?
Thanks,Jim

I have never found it to be difficult on a small block even with headers. With the z-bar assembled (the frame side ball stud in the tube with the retaining clip and the bellhousing in the tube) put the frame side in and put the nut on. Now swing the bell housing side into alignment with the holes on the bell housing and install the bolts. Install the rod from the clutch pedal next then hook up the rod to the clutch fork.

Jim,

You are probably not going to like my answer, I have the same exact setup on my 69 GTS. After I installed the headers with the engine and trans in the car, I tried to install the z-bar. The z-bar hit the bottom of the fourth pipe back when the clucth was appiled half way through its travel.

I called TTI and asked the guy about it. He said they have been making those pipes for over 10 years and NEVER had anybody complain about not fitting. Basically TTI had no symphathy for my problem. I could have sent the pipes back but they had scratches from installing them, so TTI was going to hassle me about that.. So I started to bend things.

Long story short, I bent the header pipe in for clearance and cut and welded the Z-bar so that the lever was further away from the pipe.

If you need any more detail or pictures you can PM me.
Or if you have better luck by some other means please let me know so other people can avoid the same problem.

Kim.

I have tried 3 times to put in the Z bar with no luck.The last time I got it in but the Lever on the Z bar hits the header tube.Also my bracket that goes on the Z bar hits.As of now I have ground a little excess of the bellhousing near he starter.I also did some grinding on the bracket.I am going to try it again.The thought already went through my head I my have to cut and reweld my Z bar.As far as the TTI's they were supposed to fit with the Mopar mini starter YA RIGHT.I had to dent in the header tube and gring abit on the starter to make it fit... Are you using a lakewood or a stock bellhousing???
Any pics or ideas would be a great help.So far this and the starter have been the only nightmares with my 383GTS.Thanks alot TTI.........................

What about a hydraulic clutch?This would get rid of my Z bar.I don't know the first thing about them.I can still use my pressure plate and clutch right?How har are the to install?Any clearance issues?Where can I get one at a good price?Has anyone used one with 383,and TTI's? Thanks for any help.

Even w/a small block and TTI's, I had to grind/bend the Z-bar to clear the header tubes. Must of had the bar in n out a dozen times. I had no interference w/the mini starter.

Jim,
Go to the 4 speed trans forum. There is a post about hydraulic clutch.
Looks like it might be of interest and relatively cheap.
Kim,

-
Back