Installation of Convertible Top - Can be done off the car?

-

1966DartConvertible

Reaction score
Hi there.

I took the convertible top of the car together with its old (torn) vinyl before the restoration started last August.

My ques is, can i just send the convertible top mechanism (without the car) to the shop and ask them to change the torn vinyl with a new one and then I install back on the car myself? Is this advisable? Or it HAS to be done ON the car?

Appreciate your comments/advice on this.

Thanks.

Syed

I dont have 1st hand knowledge, but any one I have talked to or seen done is installed with it on the car. Do it on the car.

Not advisable. The top frame must be on the car in order to 'fit' the top and glue it in the right spot across the front bow. Also required to get the other bows set correctly.

The top is installed on the car and starting from the rear and working forward pretty much the same as a headliner install.

SERIOUSLY BAD IDEA!!! off the car the frame can twist and become out of shape...the only thing keeping it IN shape is the fact that it is attached to the car. I have had near 30 tops installed on different vehicles and cannot imagine WHY you would think an installation could be or would be done OFF the vehicle? which begs the question WHY? WHY would you want to do such a thing?

SERIOUSLY BAD IDEA!!! off the car the frame can twist and become out of shape...the only thing keeping it IN shape is the fact that it is attached to the car. I have had near 30 tops installed on different vehicles and cannot imagine WHY you would think an installation could be or would be done OFF the vehicle? which begs the question WHY? WHY would you want to do such a thing?

Ok noted. ON the car then :)

Quit being so wishy-washy.

-
Back