Installing a pistol grip on a 1980 A833 OD

-

MoparMagic1992

Reaction score
Picked up a original B-body pistol grip shifter (Old man said he took it out of "one of them big old chargers" and it hung on his garage wall for 25 years) for my truck yesterday, Is there any diagrams on how to remove the factory shifter and installing the pistol grip? never done this before.

Also will it even work on a Factory OD shifter? :D or will i have to modify it?

-John

70 b body non console shifters fit the trucks.If yours have the spring loaded pins you slide a feeler gauge down the side and trip the pin where the rod goes into the shifter.use some wd40 they can be stuck and hard to remove.When you trip the pin pull up on the handle and it should come out.Some handles bolt on with 2 bolts also.

I looked at it more today, it has one bolt on the front which i removed, dont think its the two screw type. Would these spring loaded pins happen to be be directly below the shifter handle on a shaft it looks like? i spotted what looked like a decent size spring in there..hopefully thats what youre talking about..

here is some pictures i took today

1027121507a.jpg

1027121507.jpg

1027121506.jpg

yep you have the pins.Slide a screwdriver or feeler gauge on the driver side to release the pins between the shifter handle and housing.

Is the pistol grip the handle or the whole shifter? If it's the whole thing replace it as a unit.

The bolt in pistol grip will not fit in the factory 80 shifter.
You need the the bolt in bottom to make it work.
I put a complet B body pistol grip shifter in my 81 truck and had to heat and bend the shifter handle to get it to work.

What happened with this...I'm getting ready to do this now in my RC.....Shorty done it a long time ago. Was hoping for more pictures.

-
Back