Installing a Suregrip

-

60Powerwagon

Reaction score
Of all I’m doing is installing a suregrip to replace my open carrier in my 8 3/4 489 housing I should be able to swap the ring gear, reinstall, set the backlash, and it should be good to go correct?

I think you will also have to replace the crush sleeve when doing the upgrade on a 489 unit.

I think you will also have to replace the crush sleeve when doing the upgrade on a 489 unit.

The crush sleeve is part of his pinion shaft that the depth is already set and installed.

He will swap over his ring gear to the new Sure-grip casting, probably put new carrier bearings on it, and then install and set the ring gear to pinion backlash and also check his wear pattern with the yellow grease to final ok everything is set right not running off to one end of the tooth or the other.

Now if he was putting in a new ring and pinion Gear Set, then by all means have to redo the crush sleeve, or the crush sleeve eliminator.

The crush sleeve is part of his pinion shaft that the depth is already set and installed.

He will swap over his ring gear to the new Sure-grip casting, probably put new carrier bearings on it, and then install and set the ring gear to pinion backlash and also check his wear pattern with the yellow grease to final ok everything is set right not running off to one end of the tooth or the other.

Now if he was putting in a new ring and pinion Gear Set, then by all means have to redo the crush sleeve, or the crush sleeve eliminator.
Exactly what I was thinking. Thank you

it's also a good idea to check the back lash before you take it apart and set it the same as the gears were run in at.

-
Back