installing cam to 102

-

DusterBoy15

THE WISE(guy) MEMBER
Reaction score
ok my xe274 is suppose to be installed at 106 but i have some people telling me to install it at 102 how do i do this and when it comes time to install is there some one who can come down and help me?

also what does this do for me overall and power wise

All it does is move the power band down to a lower rpm level, IMO I wouldn't do it, it will work better at 106.

This is an interesting subject. You did not mention what the lobe seperation is. It may be 106 and if the advance is already built in of 4 degrees, then the intake center would be 102. I had a cam designer years ago tell me that all engines run better at 102?? Now he was an invovator of "tight lash cams" that today have been renamed high intensity or high energy, and are very sensitive to having the lash accurately set due to high ramp angles. Bottom line is to do what the cam card calls for since it was designed by someone a lot smarter than us. If you have to install a cam more than 2 degrees retarded or advanced from the spec card, then you have the wrong cam for your application and/or your combination of compression ratio, intake, carb, gearing, tire size needs to be examined more closely. Now that you are more confused than ever, next time call Crane or Comp and get a recomenndation from them, and shy away from the 30 year old designs that Mopar sells for more money than should be legal.

The EX274 is a comp cams cam they are generally on a 110 lobe sep. and advanced 4* so the intake would be 106 and the exhaust would be 114 with 110 as the sep.

-
Back