installing carpet

-

ir3333

Reaction score
..well i've put it off long enough.
Is it best to use glue/contact cement to insure a tight fit?
use weights in trouble spots over night?
i've read through some older posts..alum barrier on front floor and firewall?

I wouldn't use glue. The molded carpets will settle in once they are installed.

Be careful if you trim the carpet near the foot pedals. MAKE SURE THAT THE CARPET CANNOT HANG UP YOUR PEDALS. That's what caused the Toyota recall for sudden acceleration, and you don't want your brake pedal travel to be interfered with also.

When you need to make the holes in the carpet for the seats and seat belts, get an old soldering iron or one with a crappy tip or an el cheapo one. Heat it up and go underneath the car and poke the hot iron through the seat belt holes and holes for the seats. It will melt through the carpet easily and is much easier than trying to cut with a utility knife. Then change the tip or throw the "beater" iron away, or save it for another use in the future.

Maybe set it in the car overnight with weights or boxes of parts to help it settle in.

This popped into my mind. It's one of my favorite Family Guy jokes (If you get the "hidden" meaning)... LOL!

[ame]http://youtu.be/UJGksvSzXzs[/ame]

If you have a preformed carpet with heal pad sewn in, start by positioning that pad properly. A temporary weight there might help. It's not a lot different from household carpet. Just lay it right and secure at perimeter. No adhesive required.

A suggestion, don't cut/trim at the sill plates until after the seat belts have been bolted down, and all the carpet has settled into its proper position. Or else it may be a little too small...

Lots of good info posted above already. I also used some add'l insulation under the carpeting with double sided tape at the trans tunnel / floor shift console area....

Allowing the carpet to sit in the sun for a few hours before installing will help too.....

I just finished today installing new carpet in my 71 demon. I bought from auto- interiors and had mass backing applied. They send you installation instructions... Modeled carpet routines to its shape overnight per there instructions

-
Back