***Installing console carpet...whats the secret???***

-

65Val

Average Length Member
Reaction score
OK, what's the secret to installing the console carpet ("tails")? I've ordered and received console carpet from Trim-Parts. I've tried test-fitting it for hours, and it just isn't anywhere near the shape of the console. What's the secrets guys???

OK, what's the secret to installing the console carpet ("tails")? I've ordered and received console carpet from Trim-Parts. I've tried test-fitting it for hours, and it just isn't anywhere near the shape of the console. What's the secrets guys???
Fit them first, then glue them up. cut and use wooden paddels-the right length to hold them up while the glue dries. will work if you cut the paddles to dig in to the floor carpet. still a pain in the buttocks !!

Thanks Bob....did you have to cut a lot from your carpet to make it fit properly? Did you start glueing at a particular point, front, back, middle? What kind of glue did you use?

Getting ready to take it to an upholstery shop if I can't do it.

Fit them first, then glue them up. cut and use wooden paddels-the right length to hold them up while the glue dries. will work if you cut the paddles to dig in to the floor carpet. still a pain in the buttocks !!

I used 2 sided tape. I started from the back on the drivers side and worked forward. Then I wrapped it around the back and worked it up the passenger's side. Take some time to fit it first and it should go good.

Cley

Thanks Cley...hadn't considered 2-sided tape yet...Good idea!! (I hit your "Thanks" button for that one!)

You'd think with the quantity of these kits they've sold, they could make'em fit better

I used 2 sided tape. I started from the back on the drivers side and worked forward. Then I wrapped it around the back and worked it up the passenger's side. Take some time to fit it first and it should go good.

Cley

Last edited:
velcro would probably work good. It does on door panels

I used butcher paper to make a template to use as a trimming guide. You have many chances to get it perfect.

OK...here's the templates I made today for cutting the console carpet. You can see the carpet I'll have to cut away through the plastic templates. Sure looks like way too much to have to cut off. Do you guys think this is correct? Thanks.
IMG_1981 (Small).JPG
IMG_1982 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
You shouldnt have to trim that much it I remember correctly. When I say make a template I mean trim the paper to the shape of your carpet and then trim the paper to fit the console like the carpet would. To me it looks like you traced it out flat but the carpet hangs vertically.

You shouldnt have to trim that much it I remember correctly. When I say make a template I mean trim the paper to the shape of your carpet and then trim the paper to fit the console like the carpet would. To me it looks like you traced it out flat but the carpet hangs vertically.

Thanks. I taped the plastic sheet to the console where the carpet would go, traced through the lip where the carpet would fit to, then laid the plastic sheet over the carpet. Am I not doing it right? I am definitely NOT an upholstery guy by any stretch. I guess I need pics or video to show me.

Thanks. I taped the plastic sheet to the console where the carpet would go, traced through the lip where the carpet would fit to, then laid the plastic sheet over the carpet. Am I not doing it right? I am definitely NOT an upholstery guy by any stretch. I guess I need pics or video to show me.
Trace out the outline of your carpet on some paper, now you have something to work with. trim the paper till it fits the console then use that to trim the carpet to. That way you can mess up as many times as you want and your only wasting paper

-
Back