installing front and rear glass ?

-

JeepJimmy

Reaction score
time to put the front and rear glass back in the 68 dart. got new weatherstrips. any tips>?

http://www.aegistools.com/catalog/Equalizer-Tools/Rope-Insert-Tool/

You can rope it in.I did my rear one that way on my 66,front i used the
plastic sticks along with some dish soap and just work it in,seemed easier
then the rope.Installed seal to body then put glass in.I had 2 people
helping doesnt hurt to have extra hands.You dont have to have that tool
at that website just showing you for referance.Any rope will work,nylon probably the best,make sure
it fits the groove on your gasket and leave it way long if you have no tool
so you can pull on it.You should have a few of those plastic sticks,you will
still need them.

Most autobody/paint shops farm out glass installs for a reason......best left to a pro

Yup, it's a fairly easy DIY job. The rope method, plastic sticks or dowel rods sanded flat on one end work well. Even the nylon tire levers from a bicycle shop work well. Lube with dish soap or Go-Jo. Then, go easy. DO NOT FORCE anything. If something doesn't go smoothly back off and work a different angle. The bad news is even working very carefully a piece of glass occasionally gets broken. The good news is that if you are careful and gentle the odds are greatly in your favor.

A professional will cost you , not so much for his time but for his warrenty. He Knows if it leaks you're bringing it bacl. In that is the best reason to take it there to begin with.

i did my own and chipped my 5k paint job to save 500. so guess who,s pissed at who. For a week I didnt shave cause I wanted to smack the guy in the mirror.

Good points from both camps. I myself installed all the glass in my mopars. I'm stubborn that way (maybe a bit ignorant)

I have a neighbor who was a body man now retired that gave me all the necessary tools for glass installation. You need the tools, dish soap and a lot of "patience"

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

-
Back