Installing front windshield, '70 Dart tips?

-

Doug Palmer

Reaction score
I have a '70 Dart and need to install the front windshield. I have the new seal and have a basic idea on how to install the windshield using the string method. My question is, does the bottom seal of the windshield use a caulk to seal the rubber seal to the cowl top panel, there is no track or ridge? I will also be installing the rear glass. Any help/information or tricks of the trades would be greatly appreciated.... Doug

The string, or rope method is only used on the REAR windshield. The front windshield isn't installed that way.
Install the gasket on the car, and use a glazing compount under the gasket where it sits on the car. Lay the glass on the gasket and starting from the BOTTOM, work the glass into the groove. Use plastic tools to work the glass in. I spray the glass with WD40 to help it slide into place. Once the entire piece of glass has been installed into it's rubber channel, go around and lock it in. WD40 will not harm the paint so don't be afraid to spray it when needed. I can install a front windshield alone in about 30 minutes including reinstalling the trim. Once you've done it once, you'll be a PRO!

The rear windshield is installed with the rope method. Install the gasket on the glass, then wrap the rope around the gasket, taping it into place. You want the 2 ends of the rope at the BOTTOM center of the gasket. Pull the rope out from inside the car and work it onto the car. A helper outside will make it easier.
The rear window is MUCH more difficult to install then the front one.

Good luck!

George

Heya, I don't know if it's against the rules to post this link but it's what I used to put in my windshield and it worked pretty great, not that it's much different than what George had to say but it has pictures!

I've installed both using various methods depending on year and the type of gasket. I would suggest you install the rear one first if you've never done one. It's a much tougher glass to break and it will get you used to handling a big slab of glass before you tackle that fragile windshield. Just don't get either one in a bind. They should install smoothly if you have them lubed and use the corrrect method. If you have a helper (recommended), have them follow your directions as if they were just another tool you're using. If you let them do their own thing, you'll probably be working against each other with disasterous results.

-
Back