installing glass

-

moparraceman

Reaction score
i have a 1971 plymouth scamp, i need to put front and rear glass in car, the old glass is out ,and car is ready to have new glass put in, i have new steel rubber gaskets. does the gasket have to have some type of glue ,or other stuffs put om rubber before trying to install glass ? does back glass the same or just soapie water on back glass ? any tips you can give me before i try to insall the glass ? thanks

If your frame is in good shape you probably wont need adhesive. It would not hurt to put some adhesive on them to ensure no leaks. Take your time and dont force anything. I like using plastic tools and plenty soapy water.

If you decide to use a sealer, use something that doesn't harden....AKA dum-dum.

Maybe for glue-in glass. I prefer dum dum with rubber gaskets.

Look on YouTube. I bet you can find something. If you were closer, I'd come over and help.

I always go around the perimeter on the outside between the gasket and pinch weld with a tube of good high quality silicone based clear 30 year construction caulk. Just cut the tip so there's enough of a point to get between the gasket and pinch weld and around you go. Won't hurt a thing and is easy to clean up if you ever remove the glass again.

Suggested installation tool

C775802C-FCDA-4D57-900A-0358B159192A.jpeg

I went to eastwood and picked up rope caulk plus i picked up some butyl at a NAPA I forget who the manufacturer was but it was a larger diameter more flexible rope caulk if that makes sense. Only issue with mine,and I reused the old gasket is, i suspect the windshield is low meaning the cowl edge trim looks like it wont go on the gasket sits too high, while the gap at the top seems a bit wide between the rubber and the windshiels opening.. I am suspecting Ill undo the lock and attempt to pull up the glass and gasket somehow...it was a bear getting the glass in by myself I dont want to take it out.

I went to eastwood and picked up rope caulk plus i picked up some butyl at a NAPA I forget who the manufacturer was but it was a larger diameter more flexible rope caulk if that makes sense. Only issue with mine,and I reused the old gasket is, i suspect the windshield is low meaning the cowl edge trim looks like it wont go on the gasket sits too high, while the gap at the top seems a bit wide between the rubber and the windshiels opening.. I am suspecting Ill undo the lock and attempt to pull up the glass and gasket somehow...it was a bear getting the glass in by myself I dont want to take it out.
I'm getting really close to putting mine in...next week after my company leaves and the weather is still nice.
Y From the way it looks, the gasket just "sits" on the bottom with just the few tabs I see to keep it from moving around?
Although a lockstrip is required the new Precision gasket looks like a portion is on the bottom of the gasket itself and the lock starts somewhat at the lower corner and goes up and around to the opposite corner?
How long did it take to do by yourself?

1698347907559850987189587478563.jpg

16983480576573596972697488285447.jpg

Last edited:
When it takes the glass man and his helper 30 minutes or more to get just the glass in and I have done all the rest and they have been doing this 30 odd years.....I ]call them to install that new glass I have $350 in!! :thumbsup:

I'm getting really close to putting mine in...next week after my company leaves and the weather is still nice.
Y From the way it looks, the gasket just "sits" on the bottom with just the few tabs I see to keep it from moving around?
Although a lockstrip is required the new Precision gasket looks like a portion is on the bottom of the gasket itself and the lock starts somewhat at the lower corner and goes up and around to the opposite corner?

View attachment 1716158507

View attachment 1716158510
well, keep in mind I reused my old gasket and Im not sure that was the best idea Id assume newones are "softer" . The rearw indow went in ok, Id say an hour, I felt like the front was 2 hours or maybe 2.5 or 3 LOL! It was my first time and it was a battle mostly hand work with two of thos lastic knives and a spray bottle with soapy water etc. Like siad dont start hitting it with anythink like a soft hammet etc. I was very mindful to not break it. What I did was to keep it constantly lubed and then run the winshield into the rubber with teh plastix knife tools if thats what they are called. It gets to where you get 1/4 inc hat a time but then it starts going better at some point. I still think my old gasket had alot to do with the fact that it was a tough job though.

I have to do the front and back.
I'm glad to see it can be done with one person. I have new gaskets and don't think of 2/3 hours a long time for a job like this. I'll do the back first then the front. The hood is off and the motor is out so that might make it easier.

View attachment 1716158507

View attachment 1716158510
Kitty and I removed and installed Vixen's new windshield in under 20 minutes.

.....and not made for auto glass.
This eliminated water leaks in my '68 with a new gasket and glass. Windshields for these old cars are not cheap, especially when you add the shipping costs and new gaskets/seals. I found this stuff from 3M, which is pumped in under the rubber lip of the gasket and doesn't harden. It finally sealed the water from being blown around the gasket on rainy days at freeway speeds.

I used window shade drawing cord with dish washing soap to install my VW windows with new gaskets back in the day. They never leaked, so I didn't use anything to seal them.

20231028_085027.jpg

-
Back