Installing hood hinge

-

plugger340

Reaction score
Do most members install washers between the hinge and the body’s sheet metal when installing the hinge? Also what is the best way to install the push nuts, and how snug should they be against the hinge? I thought a deep socket might work the best to push on the nut.

Do most members install washers between the hinge and the body’s sheet metal when installing the hinge? Also what is the best way to install the push nuts, and how snug should they be against the hinge? I thought a deep socket might work the best to push on the nut.

Washers under the arm attaching points if fine, and personally I prefer it.
Push nut can go down solid, and a little grease under them.
Brushing the spring coil down with a tacky grease will keep it from groaning when opening and closing the hood.
Just a FYI for your consideration, I drilled the studs and used a washer and cotter pins instead of the push nut.
If you use the push nuts a deep socket works great.

My hood hinge pins have a groove in them where the keeper snaps in

My hood hinge pins have a groove in them where the keeper snaps in
That is something I have never seen before. Then again I aint seen it all, nor do I know what year model you refer to.
If I ever go back into where my 67 model hood hinge pins are, a flat washer and a drilled hole with cotter pin is my plan.

-
Back