Installing Hub Bearings?

-

stop the beast

Reaction score
For the front wheel bearings does this video seem accurate?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agxjGtmHV_4"]YouTube - Correct way to pack a wheel bearing[/ame]

Then I just fill the middle resivoir of the hub up with grease right? In the grease channel?

As for tightening the spindle nut I believe my manual says 90 inch pounds while rotating the hub...anyone want to help me explain this better?

Seems correct. When I pack bearings, I use a bearing packer on a grease gun. Keeps the hands nice and neat.

As far as setting torque on the spindle nut, the hub has to spin freely, but still set to torque and I think backed off a 1/4 turn. Set the torque to 90 inch pounds and then check if the hub will still spin.

Whereabouts you at in AZ?

Just make sure when you pack your bearings that you get the grease completely through all of the bearing. Most auto part stores sell an inexpensive bearing packer that you simply fill with grease, place your bearing inside, and compress with a cap that forces grease into the bearing voids. Fill the center reservoir and as the manual says rotate your hub while tightening the spindle nut. If everything is greased properly and aligned properly then the hub should rotate smoothly without any hard spots once the spindle nut is tightened to torque specs.

Seems correct. When I pack bearings, I use a bearing packer on a grease gun. Keeps the hands nice and neat.

As far as setting torque on the spindle nut, the hub has to spin freely, but still set to torque and I think backed off a 1/4 turn. Set the torque to 90 inch pounds and then check if the hub will still spin.

Whereabouts you at in AZ?

Gilbert

Nice - I am in Ahwatukhee. Will be in Tempe doing the back brakes this weekend. If youa re still having issues, hit me with a PM and maybe Gene (65 Cuda) and I can swing by and give you a hand

~Mike

-
Back