Installing linkage clips

-

Uncle Bob

Shiny paint causes stress.
Reaction score
Is there a trick to installing these clips?

1713716401973.png

I can't get anywhere with them by trying to squeeze and slide them onto the pedal/zbar studs. The shape of the slot makes me think there's a trick to it.

Thanks.

They won't clip on if the linkage isn't in alignment i.e. z bar. They should almost go on by hand. I use a needle nose pliers.

Yeah, they can't catch anything. I would not say that I have tough fingers, but usually just push them into place., but they can be snotty at times!

I tried it on my z-bar on the bench and noticed there is more room to fit the clip there than there is where I'm working under the dash, and it clipped right in. I'm thinking about thinning the ends of that linkage rod to help with that.

Thanks,

Just b-a-s-h it!

But your Z-bar should be installed at 90* to the car centerline from top view, and parallel to the ground from the rear. Then the downrod from the pedal should go straight thru the center of the oval hole in the firewall, to meet the lever welded to the Z-bar.
Finally, the adjustable transfer rod to the fork should go straight back to the fork, about parallel to the centerline of the car and nearly level to the ground. After all is installed, the fork should be vertically nearly in the center of the BH window, and front to back, nearly touching the flywheel edge of that same window, with just enough room to install the dust boot.
With everything lined up, the clips will practically install themselves.

How are yous guys installing these though?

The entire clip under the stud, or the head of the stud through the two sections of the clip?

And why are the clips wider on one leg, and opposite on the inner vs outer side?

Iirc, I'm putting the entire clip under the head of the stud, then I turn them around so the bend in the rod is against the clip.

How are yous guys installing these though?

The entire clip under the stud, or the head of the stud through the two sections of the clip?

And why are the clips wider on one leg, and opposite on the inner vs outer side?

Iirc, I'm putting the entire clip under the head of the stud, then I turn them around so the bend in the rod is against the clip.
It seemed obvious to me from the start the whole clip goes under the stud. But then I don't know how many times it ended up with only one side under while I was trying to install it. So I knew that was too loose to work.

I thought that odd shape on the clip it might be used for clipping it in (start one side, push it over, start the other side) but no. I think it's a part of getting the danged thing back off after it's installed though.

-
Back